Scotch Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Food and Drink' started by Graeme, Oct 3, 2009.

1. jasn

jasn Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

I've been meaning to post here for months about a visit to my friend David in Amherst, MA who is, in my book anyways, an extraordinary scotch aficionado. My wife and I visited last April and David was more than happy to share his vast cache and knowledge of fine Scottish elixirs. We even started on the second day at around three in the afternoon! I am a single-malt noob, to be honest, and David used my lack of experiences to bring out and sample a variety of his prized collection.

Trying to not be too obvious and a bad guest, I quickly snuck these shots of his little cubby next to his kitchen. If you'll notice, most are open and well below the label...

20190405-090322.jpg
    20190405-170208.jpg
    20190405-170218.jpg
    20190405-170251.jpg

To be continued...

DYohn and Mikael Soderholm like this.
  2. Mikael Soderholm

Mikael Soderholm Active Member Donor

Now THAT is a man cave!
    Serious collection, to be sure.

jasn likes this.
  3. jasn

...continued:

So, in the second day and after David offered and described many of his favorites, he used the same analogy of finding a good scotch a that for a good bottle of wine...

If you buy a $100 bottle of wine you fully expect and almost demand that it be special. The trick is to find a far less expensive bottle of wine that gets you nearly every payback as the $100 bottle. Of course this can apply and make sense for buying single malts, perhaps even more expensive. So late in the tastings David poured me some of this particular label. I think it's excellent and found it nearby for ~$40/ bottle. I don't think I've seen on this thread?

20190405-152747.jpg

4. DYohn

DYohn Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

Wow!

yes, Glenfarclas is one of my favorites. Enjoy!

jasn likes this.
  5. jasn

Reciporical validation! The best!

6. Carl V

Carl V Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

Indeed it must.

7. Randy Rhoton

Randy Rhoton Well-Known Member Donor

8. DYohn

And... sometimes I like to splurge a little. Picked this up on the way home last night. Black Arts, 1994. It is fabulous.
    IMG_1045.jpg

9. Carl V

oh my....25 year old!
    not familiar with that one.

Do tell us whatcha think...we await with bated breath

10. DYohn

My first impression was of an extremely complex aroma with layers of flavor ranging from jasmine to grass. No peat, some smoke, hints of cherry and plum beneath the oak. Not sweet but also not dry. Water really opened it up. I look forward to trying more this evening.

11. DYohn

By the way this documentary made me seek out the Black Arts bottle. Recommended.

12. pillatier

pillatier Well-Known Member

IMG_20191110_183003429.jpg
    A friend gifted this recently. Nice aperitif on the rocks

DYohn and Carl V like this.
  13. GSmitty

GSmitty Member

Share your Black Friday specials for Scotch!!! Obviously where shipping is allowed... I've been watching at our local Costco in San Diego. It's a bit unique, as it is Price Club #1 (For those of you who recall Price Club, before Costco bought them.) - and they still have quite a few Buyers working out of the offices of this old World War II supporting warehouse building... I've seen things at this Costco, that have not made it to the full network. (And yes, since I travel in the RV all over our country, I do understand that regional differences do occur...) Heck, they have one $18K+ Scotch available (And I can assure you, while I did look at it, my hands were in my pocket, and my wallet was left safely with my wife!!!).

Black Friday? Well, they have been known to drop prices on items at the warehouse level... So, since they have several under $200 bottles of Scotch to choose from, I'm planning an AM visit on Friday to this Costco store - to see if any of the on hand inventory has a nice surprise... (I asked one Costco (Heck, worked at Fedmart, and Sol Price brought him over to as part of about 200 former Fedmart employees to start up Price Club!) Manager I know pretty well (Elementary School days!) if he knew if any of the Spirits are Wines would have Black Friday pricing... Got the 'If I told you, I'd have to shoot you...' response... For sure, worth a visit to find out!!!

(I did grab a bottle of Oban 14 Single Malt in $53 range today, which is below the advertised Total Wine and Bevmo advance Black Friday sales price info...)

All that being said, I've only bought Scotch at local businesses, many places across this country. But, figured this gang might know of online merchants, and possibly of any Black Friday sales for those buying online???

Info sharing appreciated... And of course, if you PM me I'll send you my routing number for those who care to fund my expenditures...

A bit early, but happy Turkey Day to you all. And if your family is at times like my family - bring a nice Scotch, to ease your way thru...
    Smitty

Carl V likes this.
  14. Carl V

No idea of Black Friday liquor deals. But that Oban is a nice choice. Look for glenfarclas or a mortlach

15. GSmitty

GSmitty Member

So went to buy some last minute things at Costco (Old Price Club #1 Morena Store, in San Diego.) yesterday. The cart at check out included the these soldiers... (I did dip into the Bulk 12 yr Kirkland Signature, also from Alexander Murray. Certainly nicer then our Dewars While Label we use for Rusty Nails... And 1.75L does have a bit of staying power when my BIL swings by unannounced!!) The rest, will be sampled throughout the Holiday's at appropriate times.... And this is without finding any Black Friday Sales... Who knows what I might find!!
    Best to all - Gobble, Gobble to all!
    Smitty
    20191127_082056.jpg 20191127_082056.jpg

Carl V likes this.
  16. DYohn

I like that Oban 14. Had some the other evening...

17. GSmitty

GSmitty Member

Really like the Oban 14, especially at that price point... Made the mistake, again, of opening it when my BIL was visiting - serious damage done the bottle at the first opening:)!

Costco had Glenmorangie 10 1.75L special, buy 2 bottles Instant Discount $7 per bottle. (From memory, that was about $46-47 per bottle. With .75L going in our area for $27-28 that's pretty good price point...). And it's also a nice Scotch - so, two of them found their way into my basket... Did get a raised eyebrow from the DW, as I'd gone to get vitamins. She did not buy my claim that Vitamin S made me smarter - she said too late for that!!! (Should change my name to Dangerfield!)

Best to all, setting up to be a nice Xmas,
    Smitty

Carl V and DYohn like this.
  18. Carl V

I just bought a few bottles of compass box malt blends. B139943C-6084-407F-84E0-13842EE0814E.jpeg

quite good and varied.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
    DYohn likes this.
  19. Carl V

Turkey day sipping for friends and family.

20. GSmitty

GSmitty Member

This thread is dangerous, and frankly causing friction between myself and my Dear Wife... Oddly, she does not like my suggestions that if she were to return to the workforce - I could try a few more scotches...

Seeing the 'small pantry full of Scotch's, and Carl's picture directly above - I can see I have a few years of catching up on learning about different Scotch's. I'm a slow study, sometimes taking several bottles to truly learn - so please facto that if any of you wish to sponsor/tutor my learning curve...

My buddy just got a Johnie Walker Blue Label for his birthday - and invited me to stop by to assist him... Have never had this one either, so looking forward to it.. (And, he wisely suggested I should come sooner then later - as he's pretty sure he might just enjoy this too much to save me some!)

Best to all,
    Smitty

Carl V and DYohn like this.