Stardew Valley - detailed run down

Discussion in 'Smartphones, Computers, Gaming and Networking' started by CJ, Feb 20, 2020.

1. CJ

CJ Bronze Member Admin Top Poster

I just started playing Stardew Valley over the the weekend. I was pretty sick and kind of down and out. I've been playing Farming Simulator (that's a whole 'nother thread) on Xbox but wanted to try to find a new Switch game so I could play on the couch and in bed. Turns out I freaking love this game.

The game is a bit hard to describe. I've heard it described as a combination of Animal Crossing, Minecraft and Its also supposedly similar to Harvest Moon, which I never played. This game, and games like it tend to have split demographic of younger kids and then adults in their 30s-40s. Basically people who grew up on the original Nintendo games. They also tend to have a much more equal gender balance of their player base.

Fundamentally the game is a farming and foraging resource and crafting game with a light RPG twist. You inherit a rundown farm from your grandfather and move there to get away from the hustle and bustle of the city. The game is a top-down scroller so you move between a few sections of the map that all generally serve a purpose. You buy seeds and grow crops but that requires manual tilling and manual watering in the early game. You can also forage for wild plants and other resources like wood, stone, and minerals you need to craft items to progress your farm from a small patch of vegetables to a larger farm, orchard, and animal operation. In addition to basic farming, many of the items produced on the farm can be transformed into higher value items (e.g. fruits and vegetables can be made into jelly and pickles, milk into cheese, etc.) The game also has seasons which forces you to plant and tend different crops and plan ahead, especially to make sure you have items on hand to complete quests and unlock elements of the game.

The game is rounded out with a fairly basic RPG element consisting of quests, a larger gather-and-turn-in system that unlocks additional areas of the map, and the ability to pick career paths from leveling up in certain areas like mining, foraging, and farming. There is also a very basic combat system as there are baddies in the mines where you mine for minerals.

The game is probably not for everyone. If despise farming for items or grinding to produce a object that is needed to advance the game this one isn't for you. Its literally farming.

2. DYohn

DYohn Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

An Iowa boy living in Nebraska who likes a farming game? I will comment no further. :screamcat:

DustinDavis likes this.
  3. DustinDavis

DustinDavis Well-Known Member

Guess he’s gotten tired of Goat Simulator.

DYohn likes this.
  4. John Celardo

John Celardo Bronze Member Donor

Nah-ah-ah-ah!

5. Chris Slade

Chris Slade Well-Known Member Top Poster

I picked this up a while ago, neither my son or I really go into it. I think we didn't give it enough time. We will pick up Animal Crossing in March and give that a try.