Suspect Arrested In Louisiana Church Fires Case

Discussion in 'The VIP Lounj' started by Denton, Apr 11, 2019.

1. Denton

Denton Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

2. DYohn

DYohn Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

Let's blame music, not his mental condition nor the culture he lives in.

Barry_NJ likes this.
  3. Carl V

Carl V Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

Frank Zappa had a pithy opinion about musics’ influence on our character make up. Suffice it to say bullshit was the bottom line.

Barry_NJ likes this.
  4. Barry_NJ

Barry_NJ Well-Known Member

While I agree with David's and Carl's (Zappa's) opinions/posts...

Having read the article, it doesn't blame the music, but indicates that the suspect is in a band that plays such, and that he has interest in another musician who has and promotes, xenophobic and antisemitic ideas.

Does Art influence culture/society, or is it only a reflection? Is music Art? I do enjoy music that some would find disturbing, and I'm not running around harming people because of it. However, I do feel there could be some influence here, even though it could be due to a poor interpretation of the artist's intent, be it a confirmation of ideas, or a way to find like minded individuals. Especially if the individuals are of a mind that is readily open to such influence. Similar to the way our current president's behavior is said to embolden hate and prejudice.

5. CJ

CJ Bronze Member Admin Top Poster

Movies, Music, and Video Games are all often blamed by a lazy media. There are volumes of evidence countering this narrative to no avail.

DYohn likes this.
  6. DYohn

DYohn Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

Media can absolutely impact attitudes and behavior. I refer you to advertising. However blaming media exposure or consumption for an adverse effect on society is, as CJ suggests, a lazy act done by someone looking for an easy target. Also note that when this sort of blame is placed it always contains a societal bias: it's the fault of Satanic Black Metal or Grand Theft Auto because those have negative connotations, and often contain profanity and violence and sex, nothing is ever the fault of Taylor Swift or a "wholesome" video game like Pokemon.

7. CJ

CJ Bronze Member Admin Top Poster

I actually think a LOT wrong with Society is the fault of Taylor Swift... but I get your point.

DYohn likes this.