SVS's New Prime Wireless Speakers and Wireless SoundBase

Discussion in 'Home Theater and Stereo' started by Jeffrey Forner, Oct 5, 2018.

1. Jeffrey Forner

Jeffrey Forner Member

Prime Wireless Speaker System

I know there's been a lot of buzz lately about the KEF LS50 wireless (and rightly so), but here's another similar speaker from another respected brand. This one has many of the same features including support for WiFi and Bluetooth, 200 watts of power (50 watts for each driver), an internal DAC, support for just about any wired connection you can think of, and a sub out RCA jack to boot.

Asking price is $599.99. Preorders start shipping around October 22.

SVS visited a local A/V dealer here in Minneapolis back in early July, and they demoed a prototype version of these speakers. My impression of them at the time was that they sounded pretty good, and seemed like a decent all-in-one solution for those who might not have room for an amp/receiver. I can't say if the actual shipping version of these sound the same though. Who knows what, if any, tweaks have been made to these since then. My guess is that the design and sound were pretty much finalized by that point.

Prime Wireless Soundbase

If you have an extra pair of passive speakers lying around already, they also have what appears to be a pretty beefy stereo receiver. The features are similar to the new wireless speakers of course, with all of the same wired and wireless connections. You get two channels at 150 watts each and an extra pair of RCA outputs in case you need it.

I've been interested in these for a while now, mostly because I'm in need of a new pair of speakers for my iMac. The amp in the ones I had died on me last spring, and I've been hemming and hawing over what to replace them with. These seem like they would fit the bill, but I hesitate at $599.99. I feel like all the wireless connectivity options would be wasted on me, seeing as I would only be plugging them into my computer with a pair of RCA plugs.

Jack Keck likes this.
  2. Phil A

Phil A Well-Known Member Top Poster

The stereo receiver looks like it could be a great value. I recently simplified a secondary system and traded my old main system amp for an all in one integrated amp/DAC connected via ethernet.

3. CJ

CJ Bronze Member Admin Top Poster

I think this is the future of stereo frankly. There will be some high end that want to mix and match etc. but imagine when this starts to "trickle up" into flagship speakers and towers. The ability to plug a pair of speakers into the wall and have music. I wonder if in the future the link between the two can even be done wirelessly.

4. Jeffrey Forner

Jeffrey Forner Member

When I was a teenager, I had a little Aiwa bookshelf stereo system in my room. It featured a dual cassette player, an AM/FM radio, and a three-disc CD changer (which was totally The Shit for a 14 year-old boy at the time). By audiophile standards, it wasn’t much, but it got the job done.

If I were a teen today, I would probably own a system similar to this. All my music is stored on a digital device of some kind, be it a phone, tablet, or computer. As long as I had a way to push it to the speakers wirelessly, it would satisfy all my needs. I may not be able to afford the SVS ones at $599, but I could probably swing something like this.

5. CJ

This was my first stereo

upload_2018-10-6_11-48-28.jpeg

6. pillatier

pillatier Well-Known Member

These bluetooth or wireless speakers are certainly Hi WAF. They can be great for apartment dwellers too for surround sound systems.

7. John Celardo

John Celardo Well-Known Member Donor

This was my first music system in the early 60s. This one isn't mine, but I do still have it on a shelf in the basement. When I got my first bachelor apartment in the early 70s, I bought a Fisher boxed system at EJ Korvettes that had a receiver, turntable and speakers. Those Fisher speakers still sound pretty good.

westinghouse.recordplayer.jpg

8. Chris Slade

Chris Slade Well-Known Member Top Poster

I am convinced this model is the future. More choices is a good thing for the consumer.

CJ I believe that can be done wirelessly now, but I don't think many manufacturers want to trust the reliability of the connection yet, and there are comments (not sure if they are relevant) about loss of fidelity.

9. Phil A

Phil A Well-Known Member Top Poster

10. CJ

They sell those Devialet's at the Apple stores. Its amusing to me that someone out there is buying a $1700 single speaker and streaming compressed audio to it.

11. pillatier

pillatier Well-Known Member

In early 1980s a friend was getting a house built once the framing was complete before the dry wall we went in one day wired the all the bedrooms upstairs, the family room and the living room with RG-59 cable and also phone cable with home-runs to a spot next to the electric panel where the phone line also came in. When they got the internet the kids had connection in their own rooms. My friend told the kids how we had future proofed the house!

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018