SW tickets going on sale tonight

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Max Yokell, Oct 21, 2019.

1. Randy Rhoton

Randy Rhoton Well-Known Member Donor

Saw it today at the local one screen. FRAKING LOVED IT! SPEC-COTTEN- PICKING-TACULAR!. A terrific wrap up to the series. Questions answered, loosed ends tightened, plot lines closed up well. And and extremely well done bit of work with Carrie Fishers already filmed work and cgi combo. Biggest drawback was the local hall is a smaller screen than this movie cries out for and I will go next week to the Regal multiplex 20 miles away and see it again on a much larger screen. If you've held off, don't. Go see it.

2. claud

claud Well-Known Member Donor

Don't hold back, Randy. Tell us how much you liked it!!
    Went with son, daughter in law, and her father last Friday. We all enjoyed it very much.

3. Barry_NJ

Barry_NJ Well-Known Member

Saw it yesterday in IMAX, film was decent, showing not so much...
    They were having technical difficulties so they started about 45 minutes late, thankfully, or sadly, they skipped the trailers when they did get it going. Then, somewhere in the middle of the film, the sound dropped out, and we were left watching the film but listening to the sound that's pumped into the lobby of the multiplex. After about 30 seconds or so I got up and went to tell a theater employee about the issue. After a few minutes, they got the film rewound to about when the issue occurred and going again with proper sound. I'll see it again when it comes to Disney+, without all the distractions...

P.S. I did receive a voucher for a free movie as I was exiting the theater after the movie.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2020
  4. Max Yokell

Max Yokell Well-Known Member Top Poster

Lots of controversy starting to slowly come out. It seems the cut we saw in theaters was not a director approved cut. He had approved a cut and was shocked at the premiere at what he saw. Some scenes removed and some re-edited, over 10 minutes change in runtime with stuff removed and other stuff added by Disney.

he was not going to say anything about it but others from inside Bad Robot have been leaking.

Fans starting to ask for the true director cut now.

5. Max Yokell

Now trending, release the JJ cut. Looks like Disney may have stepped in it again.

to be honest I enjoyed the new movie.

6. CJ

CJ Bronze Member Admin Top Poster

There is so much drama around star wars. The fan base is super toxic. Between this and GoT I'm kind of over nerd culture. Go get laid you fucking losers. (not directed at this thread... I doubt any of the members here were involved in Kellie Marie Tran having to exit social media)

The movie was great.

Max Yokell likes this.
  7. Max Yokell

Forgetting Nerd Culture, I think the editing thing is going to turn into a big deal. As the story broke it was a rumor and JJ was keeping quiet about but now more info is coming to light JJ is still being quiet but when a director goes into a movie premiere and finds the run time is 10 mins shorter with a bunch of stuff changed and re-edited without his knowledge that kind of sucks.

8. CJ

The reality is you have no way of knowing if that is even true. Maybe there is some kind of fall out and JJ is done with with Disney and trying to dump the critics score on them. Just because he said they edited doesn't mean they did. Hollywood if famous for he said she said.

9. Max Yokell

As of now JJ has not made any claims, and appears to be of the mind that he is keeping his mouth shut and moving on to his new WB deal.

I agree it is insane but this story has been picking up steam.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

10. Chris Smith

Chris Smith Well-Known Member

I saw it on New Years Day and enjoyed my time with it. There are issues with the movie (too much stuff going on, too many times that what's happening just doesn't matter) and I sort of enjoyed the huge old middle finger that was given to Rian Johnson a couple of times. I didn't hate The Last Jedi but I had no desire to watch it again, either. I can see myself rewatching this one when it comes out on Blu-Ray/streaming.

11. Denton

Denton Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

Saw the latest SW in an IMAX theater. It resembled the original series more than any other disney-fied sequel, IMHO.

12. Zak

Zak Well-Known Member

I felt it was just OK. I'm a huge SW nerd. Sitting on my desk are at least 8 or 9 SW collectibles and I have others all over the house. Maybe I was expecting more. Just felt to ginicy and overly dramatic. Loooong drawn out speeches, and felt like bad a bad "reality" show from TLC with the dialog and drama. Fight scenes and effects were excellent. Story was meh.

Rogue One is BY FAR the best new SW movie since the original trilogy and I probably like it as much or slightly more than all others except Empire.

13. CJ

I agree R1 is the best new SW movie by far but I haven't disliked any of them. Maybe I'm being to uncritical but I just enjoy seeing the universe on screen.

Dennis Pagoulatos likes this.
  14. Jay Brown

Jay Brown Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

I purchased a digital copy from Google Play movies. Because I have Movies Anywhere, I was able to stream it though Vudu which has a HDR/ Dolby Atmos Presentation.

Movie-wise, I still feel that it was underwhelming for my tastes considering it's the last of this series of films. This time around however, "Ben's" Redemption made the ladder half of the film much more tolerable. Ben and Ray's light saber battles which involved two sequences with the Nights of Ren and the Palpatine's troops were much more engaging for me. Ben's confidence as he battled his former team looked pretty awesome.

Video-wise, this movie looks great, not too dark and the colors really pop due to the handling of HDR. The Atmos track is "decent", not very active regarding the Object-Based speakers, just complimentary.

I'm really impressed with the video quality coming from the Vudu Stream. Google Play Movies doesn't have HDR or Atmos for the Nvidia Shield, plus there were many instances of compression artifacts during the darker scenes. It was a night and day difference when streamed through Vudu. I also liked the Grain structure to the film.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2020