The 2019 Lounj movie log (365 challenge)

Discussion in 'Movies' started by CJ, Jan 5, 2019.

1. CJ

CJ Bronze Member Admin Top Poster

1. Mission: Impossible - Fallout
    2. The Firm (rewatch)
    3. The Equalizer 2
    4. The Devil's Advocate (rewatch)
    5. All the President's Men
    6. The Godfather (rewatch) (ADDED 1/13/19)
    7. The Godfather II (rewatch)
    8. Battle Royale
    9. Adrift
    10. The Fate of the Furious
    11. Vampire's Kiss
    12. The Wolf of Wallstreet (rewatch)
    13. Christopher Robin (rewatch)
    14. Face/Off (rewatch)
    15. Mandy
    16. Jerry McGuire (rewatch)
    17. Bohemian Rhapsody
    18. The Sandlot (rewatch)
    19. Miracle (rewatch)
    20. Ralph Breaks the Internet (rewatch)
    21. Robin Hood (2018)
    22. Pleasantville (rewatch)
    23. Spider-Man Into the Spider-Verse
    24. Creed II
    25. Sleeping Beauty (the indie thriller, not the Disney movie)
    26. Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure (rewatch)
    27. Aquaman
    28. Pretty Woman (rewatch)
    29. Bumblebee
    30. Iron Man (rewatch)
    31. The Incredible Hulk (rewatch)
    32. Iron Man 2 (rewatch)
    33. Thor (rewatch)
    34. The Avengers (rewatch)
    35. Iron Man 3 (rewatch)
    36. Thor the Dark World (rewatch)
    37. Captain America: The Winter Soldier (rewatch)
    38. Guardians of the Galaxy (rewatch)
    39. Avengers: Age of Ultron (rewatch)
    40. Ant-Man (rewatch)
    41. The Mule
    42. Alpha
    43. Captain America: Civil War (rewatch)
    44. Doctor Strange (rewatch)
    45. Thor: Ragnarok (rewatch)
    46. Avengers: Infinity War (rewatch)
    47. Glass
    48. Ant-Man and The Wasp (rewatch)
    49. Captain Marvel
    50. Berlin Syndrome
    51. Avengers: End Game (Updated 5/4/19)

Last edited: May 4, 2019
  2. DYohn

DYohn Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

1. Despicable Me 3
    2. Sweeney Todd (2006)
    3. Incredibles 2
    4. The Other Side of the Wind (3.5 stars)
    5. The Hunt For Red October (for the 5th or 6th time)
    6. Bird Box (so-so)
    7. Mr. Charles (this was excellent)
    8. Baby Driver (I fell asleep, does that still count?)
    9. Roma (Loved it)
    10. Close (formula thriller but well done)
    11. Brexit (Cumberbatch is great as always in a scary Netflix movie about the power of the Internet)
    12. The Green Book (3 stars)
    13. The Favourite (4 stars from the wife, 2.5 from me)
    14. SHOT! The Psycho-Spiritual Mantra of Rock (a doc about photographer Mick Rock. I found it fascinating)
    15. A Most Wanted Man (Should have about 30 minutes cut from the excruciatingly slow mid section. 2 stars)
    16, Agatha and the Truth of Murder (A Netflix original speculating what might have happened during an actual 11-day disappearance of Agatha Christie when the press thought she had died. Fun light-weight entertainment.)
    17. Do The Right Thing (Surprisingly my wife has never seen this. We are watching tonight.)
    18. BlackkKlansman (Spike is back. 5 stars)
    19. Teddy Pendergrass - If You Don't Know Me (Documentary about his life. Really well done.)
    20. Tig Notaro: Happy To Be Here (Another Netflix doc worth seeing)
    21. Bohemian Rhapsody (Meh. Nice concert recreations)
    22. Crazy Rich Asians (2.5 stars. I'm sure others would like it more, to me it was formula - almost TV formula)
    23. Hotel Mumbai (Pretty gripping terrorism movie with an excellent Dev Patel. 4 stars)
    24. Mary Queen of Scots (ugh. A good story and a great cast but poorly told)
    25. The Highwaymen (Brilliant performances by Costner and Harrelson in a great Netflix movie. Highly recommended. )
    26. The King of Thieves (2 star light entertainment with an all-star senior citizen cast)
    27. The Ballad of Buster Scruggs (3 stars, Cohen Brothers. If you really like them then likely 4 stars)
    28. A Star Is Born (The 2018 remake with Lady Gaga, who I liked, and Bradley Cooper, who i did not. 3 stars. I got drowsy)
    29. Deadwood, The Movie (4 stars. Nice ending to this cocksucker.)
    30. Chernobyl (HBO miniseries. 4 strong stars)
    31, The Name of the Rose (8-hour version on Sundance Channel (actually more like 6 hours because of all the damn poorly placed commercials - definitely DVR this so you can skip them) starring John Turturro and Rupert Evert. A very good retelling of the Umberto Eco classic)
    32. Rolling Thunder Review - a Bob Dylan Story by Martin Scorsese (Excellent Netflix doc that plays a little fast and loose with the facts (Nixon was not President in 1976 and the footage was not directed by the actor playing the director) well worth the time to watch)
    Suddenly way behind on this thread
    33. Fantastic Beasts : The Crimes of Grindelwald (2 stars, I think Harry Potter stories have jumped the shark for me.)
    34. The Happy Prince (3 stars. Rupert Everett as an aging Oscar Wilde)
    35. The Wife (3 stars. Glenn Close in a nominated performance. The story is a bit flat but it rings true.)
    36. The Girl On The Train (2016 remake, 1.5 stars. Nearly unwatchable, I fell asleep)
    37. An Actor Prepares (3 stars. Jeremy Irons plays a Peter O'Toole type character. I found it engaging.)
    38. The Ninth Gate (rewatch) (4 stars. A favorite with Polanski and Depp at the tops of their games)
    39. The Girl In The Spiders Web (2 stars. Claire Foy was good as Lisbeth Salander, but everything else about this was a cliche bordering on trite. The worst of the Dragon Tattoo movies by far, and that's saying something since I hated the American remakes.)

Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
  3. Chris Smith

Chris Smith Well-Known Member

1. Bad Times at the El Royal - Enjoyed it. Was a tad long, especially for how much mystery was still left, but enjoyable nonetheless.
    2. A Stupid and Futile Gesture - Fun time. Really funny cast and an interesting story about the founding of National Lampoon
    3. Jurassic Park (1993) (rewatch) - Still holds up and is a good time
    4. Jurassic Park 2 (rewatch) - No where near as good as the first
    5. Jurassic Park 3 (rewatch?) - I don't know if I've ever seen this movie before. It's not very good. I miss the practical effects of the first one
    6. Annie (1982) (rewatch) - my daughter is going to be Molly in her 4th grade production so we thought she should watch the movie
    7. Action Point - Either needed to be a better movie or have more stunts. Tried to split the difference and didn't really work
    8. Deja Vu - Returned from New Orleans and a friend said we had to check it out. Fun little action-y/sci-fi movie
    9. Meatballs 4 (rewatch but it's been 20 years) - Corey Feldman at peak phoning it in
    10. City Slickers (rewatch) - been a while since I saw this one
    11. Fyre
    12. Fyre Fraud - I can't believe I watched two documentaries about the same thing back to back and was riveted by both
    13. Urban Legend (rewatch) - Crappy slasher movie from the late 90s. Loved these
    14. The Sandlot 2 - Basically a rehash of the first one. Not as good. My daughter (a new softball pitcher) liked it because there is a girl pitcher in the movie.
    15. Deepwater Horizon - I really enjoyed the time I spent with the movie and the actors in it, but it just ended. It was weird
    16. EuroTrip (rewatch) - Surprisingly great early 2000s road-trip style movie. Scotty Doesn't Know!
    17. Mid90s - I loved this movie. Jonah Hill's directorial debut. Language could be off putting to some (but I found it extremely accurate, I knew those kids in school.)
    18. Meatballs III: Summer Job - Terrible. But I watched the other 3 (1, 2, and 4) in the past couple of months and wanted to check it out. Finally acquired a really bad copy that obviously started as a VHS and just had to complete the series. Patrick Dempsey's movie debut.
    19. Bohemian Rhapsody - enjoyed it but not sure it deserved best picture nod. Malek was really good.
    20. Crazy Rich Asians - I'm not the target demo, but it was a fun and cute movie
    21. Assault on Wall Street - Uwe Boll doing his thing
    22. Annie (2014) - Watched the other big Annie movie with my daughters. Enjoyed it fine
    23. Blockers - Wanted to like it more than I did which is a shame because this movie should've been right up my alley
    24. The Battered Bastards of Baseball - Netflix doc about Bing Russell's independent baseball team in the 70s. Really enjoyed it
    25. Punk's Dead: SLC Punk 2 - The first one is a favorite of mine. This one was just okay.
    26. Suburbia (1983) - Low budget and up and down acting, but I enjoyed my time with it
    27. Speed 2: Cruise Control - I had never saw this before. It would've been fine if I never saw it.
    28. The Sandlot: Heading Home (Sandlot 3) - Another entry into the Sandlot series, more baseball in this version which was fun
    29. Downsizing - I thought the premise looked cool but the movie was lacking
    30. The Blues Brothers (rewatch) - Always a good time
    31. Green Book - I really enjoyed this. Can see why it won Best Picture
    32. Wanderlust - Fun stupid comedy. Lots of The State and Apatow type's in it.
    33. The Bad News Bears (rewatch) - Hilarious, but I forgot how inappropriate it is by today's standards.
    34. All-Stars - I never heard of this and I think it was direct-to-streaming. Mockumentary following a 10U girls softball team and their trials of making the "all star" team at the end of the year. I really enjoyed it, but since I'm a 10U softball coach it hit a few nerves that might not with some others.
    35. Eighth Grade - Powerful (and terifying to a dad of a 4th grader) look into a "typical" eight grade girl on the cusp of high school. Rang very true
    36. Ant-Man and the Wasp - Fun
    37. Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse - This was great
    38. National Lampoon's Last Resort (1994) - Terrible. It has the two Corey's, so I didn't think it could be this bad
    39. Super - I missed this film when it first came out but I really liked it. Very dark black comedy
    40. Bad News Bears in Breaking Training (rewatch) - When I think of the BNB, this is the movie I remember. I must have watched this one a lot more as a kid. Daughters liked it.
    41. The Bad News Bears Go To Japan - This movie is just confusing. Funny to see shots of Tokyo from 30 years ago, though
    42. xXx: Return of Xander Cage - Dumb action, but fun
    43. Support the Girls - I was expecting this to be a stupid comedy a-la "Waiting ..." but it was a little more serious. Not bad.
    44. Avengers: Infinity War (rewatch) - This is just great
    45. Aquaman - I haven't seen all or even most of the DC movies, but this one was fun!
    46. National Lampoon Presents: Endless Bummer (a.k.a. Surf Party) - Stupid comedy, i not the worst I watched this year.
    47. Beverly Hills Cop III (rewatch) - Eddie Murphy seemed to phone this one in
    48. Double Whammy - This is one of those movies that I can't believe I didn't see when it first came out. Sorta late 90s early 2000s indie-ish cop/crime movie. I enjoyed it
    49. Do the Right Thing - First time watching, excellent
    50. Escape Room - Fun shut your brain off movie
    51. The Underground Comedy Movie - Read that it was possibly the worst movie ever made. Those reviews might be correct
    52. The Core (rewatch) - Yes it's dumb, but I still love it
    53. Captain Marvel - Enjoyable
    54. The Greatest Showman - My wife and kids like this movie a lot. I didn't really like it much.
    55. The Lego Movie 2 - Not good. First one was fun, this one was just confusing. My kids liked it
    56. Free Willy 2 - My one daughter is an animal lover and I knew she'd like this one. I wasn't wrong.
    57. Us - I enjoyed it. Wife was disappointed as she expected less of a slasher and more of a thinker like Get Out.
    58. Creed 2 - It hits the major plot points just as you expect it to but I still had a good time
    59. Independence Day : Resurgence (2) - No where near as good as the original.
    60. The Karate Kid (rewatch) - Wanted to rewatch this after watching Cobra Kai season 2
    61. The Karate Kid, part II (rewatch) - see above
    62. The Big Short - Excellent
    63. How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World - It was fine, maybe my least favorite of the series, though
    64. The Killing Room - Not great, not terrible
    65. The Hateful Eight - I enjoyed it quite a bit
    66. Shazam! - Fun!
    67. Free Willy 3: The Rescue - More of the same, my daughter still loved it.
    68. The Adams Family (1991) (rewatch) - Wife wanted to watch this one again. It's fun but not great.
    69. Karate Kid, part III (rewatch) - I enjoy this movie but it's gets a little hard to convince yourself that Daniel is under 18.
    70. Slackers (2002) - My type of movie, stupid comedy and I can't believe I hadn't seen it yet. Note, this is NOT the Linklater film which is a much better movie
    71. Assassination Nation - Super violent, a little shocking. Just okay though
    72. Silicon Cowboys - Documentary about Compaq Computer. Sort of like real-life Halt and Catch Fire. It was okay.
    73. Addams Family Values (rewatch) - Enjoyable. Love the camp play scene
    74. Vice - Good
    75. BlacKKKlansman - Excellent
    76. Nancy Drew and the Hidden Staircase - Fun movie to watch with my girls. A little scary for the younger one
    77. 100 Things - German movie, it was fun.
    78. Total Recall (2012) - It doesn't have any of the fun campiness of the original.
    79. Invincible (rewatch) - It's that time of year! Football!
    80. The Replacements (rewatch) - see above
    81. The Blind Side (rewatch) - see above
    82. National Lampoon's Adam and Eve - Terrible. Wooden acting, stupid plot, and isn't funny at all. More a sophomoric attempt at a rom-com than an actual comedy. Not good.
    83. It (1990) - Never saw it before. Was okay, but the pacing seemed off. Maybe if it was watched as a mini-series and not a single movie it would've worked better.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2019
  4. Mikael Soderholm

Mikael Soderholm Active Member Donor

1. Wonder Boys - never tire of this, great acting, great story.
    2. Jeff Wayne's Musical Version of The War of the Worlds, live on Stage - a classic
    3. Lost in Translation - a masterpiece
    4. The Bling Ring - interesting and strange
    5. A Very English Scandal - fantastic miniseries with Hugh Grant
    6. Ralph Breaks the Internet - totally hilarious, even better than the first one. Some fantastic LOL moments.
    7. Patrick Melrose - the miniseries, all five episodes in one go with some friends over for dinner, even more powerful the second time, and amazing acting and cinematography.
    8. The Imitation Game - Benedict is great, and the film very interesting.
    9. The Third Man - for the first time, actually, and it did not disappoint, fantastic!
    10. Blade Runner - always great, first movie on my new Anthem
    11. Tommy - wow, it's been a while, and all I remember is Ann-Margret covered in baked beans, but it was more than that, but quite more 70s than was needed in one night. Interesting, strange, and a memento of a weird mindset not that far from today ...
    12. Knight Moves - pretty good and not as dated as I'd have thought.
    13. Nocturnal Animals - even better than I remembered
    14. Count of Monte Cristo - pretty ok
    15. The Handmaiden (extended edition) - beautiful, with a strange and interesting story
    16. Solo - didn't remember much from my first viewing, but it was actually pretty good
    17. U2 Rattle and Hum - a classic
    18. Blade Runner 2049 - already a classic
    19. Close Encounters of the Third Kind - not as impressed as I was back in the days, (fairly) well made, but worse written, I guess, since I didn't really care about any of the unpleasant characters, but the visuals, and idea, was cool.
    20. Dallas Buyers Club - magnificent acting in a gripping story, and Jared Leto, WOW!
    21. Dirty Harry - the original, still fresh. Do you feel lucky, well, do you, punk!?
    22. Hross í oss (of men and Horses) - strange film from Iceland my GF borrowed from friend who borrowed the equally strange Hrútar (Rams). Man, Iceland, there's just no place like it, apparently ...
    23. Inglorious Basterds - so, ten years too late, I finally get around to this, and boy, is Quentin back. May need to check out Kill Bill again as well ...
    24. Apollo 13 - still powerful
    25. Kill Bill 1+2 - hadn't seen these since they came, and wasn't much impressed then, but decided to give them another chance after Inglorious, and they were great, much better than I remembered.
    26. The Debt - even better than I remembered, very strong performances, and Helen Mirren is always great.
    27. The Boat That Rocked - great ensemble cast and fantastic movie about pirate radio in that charming style only the British manage.
    28. Tea with Mussolini - still great after all these years, and super actors (or actresses, actually)
    29. Lucy - it's Besson, so it's stylish, but a bit stupid, but it's Scarlett, so it's great.
    30. Mission Impossible Fallout - rewatch with my daughter who hadn't seen it. Great.
    31. The Matrix - 20 years on, it hasn't really aged that well, since it wasn't even the best film on the subject at the time, 13th floor and Existenz were much better but never got the attention they should have. But in its world, it actually still works. Will do Reloaded tomorrow ...
    32. The Matrix Reloaded - it hasn't really aged well. Parts still look decent, but the (abscence of a) plot really sucks. Not sure I will ever revist the third one ...
    33. Titanic - me and my daughter always watch this on or around the anniversary, it gets better every year. This is seriously a very fine piece of filmmaking.
    34. Finding Dory - much better on second viewing, Pixar at their best.
    35. Austin Powers Goldmember - aged, but still fun. You need to be in the mood, though ...
    36. Mary Poppins - the original, hadn't seen this for about 50 years, absolutely blown away, what a fantastic movie! Only bought it after seeing 'Returns', for the memory, but didn't realize how great it was. Need to see Saving Mr Banks now ...
    37. A Perfect World - oldie but goldie, both Clint and Kevin are great, as Laura Dern.
    38. Jason Bourne - maybe not as good as the first three, but good nonetheless.
    39. Saving Mr Banks - not sure how I missed this at the time, but after seeing Mary Poppins Returns and then revisiting the original, I saw this, and it was absolutely great, what extremely talented actors all gathered in one place.
    40. Wild At Heart - long time, but still impressive. Lynch, always special.
    41. The Grinch (animated Illumination version) - funny, as always with Illumination, very nice animation.
    42. Mary Poppins returns - pure genius, in acting as well as storytelling, cinematography and directing. Fantastic! Practically perfect, actually!
    43. The Hunt for Red October - hadn't seen this in quite a while, impressive cast list, and still a very good movie. Hasn't really aged, even though it's over 30 years old.
    44. Once Upon A Time In America - as good as ever, love the slow tempo and beautiful shots.
    45. Due to having moved, I have been without a home cinema for about six weeks now, so I am a bit behind on watching films, but my new TV is now installed, am come Monday, hopefully my speakers arrive, and them I'm back.
      Meanwhile, I saw Lion King on the Stockholm gala premiere (thanks my my Disney employed daughter), and while technically impressive, it really reminded me how great the orignal is.
    46. Rocketman - this was fantastic, and Taron Egerton deserves an Oscar. Loved the fantasy approach and the way the story unfolded. Very moving.
    47. Victoria and Abdul - first movie on my new TV, used Netflix (and not my blu since the rest of my stuff is not configured yet). Judi Dench is fantastic, but ultimately the movie is a bit of a bore, despite good acting.
    48. Green Book - what an amazing movie, with such great acting, totally mind blown.
    49. Glass - quite good, Shyamalan is back, and James McAvoy is fantastic.
    50. Bad Times at the El Royale - Got this because it was Jeff, and loved it. Mixed reviews, but I loved the noir setting and strange story.
    51. Annihilation - interesting and slow paced. Beautifully shot.
    52. Alexander McQueen - documenatry on the British fashion designer. Interesting film about a tragic life.
    53. Bohemian Rhapsody - not as good as I expected
    54. Anon - checked this out mainly beacuse it's Andrew Niccol, and it was interesting, but not as great as it could have been. Great last line though, "It's not that I have something to hide. I have nothing I want you to see."
    55. Salmon fishing in Yemen - I normally don't like Lasse Hallström that much, despite him being Swedish, but seeing Ewan McGregor, Kristin Scott Thomas and Emily Blunt in the cast convinced me, and it was really good, not as sweet as Hallström generally is.
    56. Alita Battle Angel - just fantastic, loved it.
    57. Mute - on Netflix, just fantastic, wish there was a blu, with bonus material, so interesting.
    58. Moulin Rouge! - still superb.
    59. The Highwaymen - a bit meh, but Harrelson was fantastic.
    60. Under Siege - still a great Sunday night movie.
    61. Babylon Berlin S1 - very interesting and well made series about Berlin in the 30s. Many and complex story lines, will do S2 soon.
    62. Little Drummer Girl - Brilliant miniseries of another Carré novel, with astonishing cinematography and super acting.
    63. Monty Python live (mostly) at O2 - hilarious reunion mixing stage with video, and remarkable choreography.
    64. The Good Shepherd - long, slow, interesting and well acted.
    65. Back again after vacation, The Last Stand, typical, but slightly stupid, Arnold
    66. Looper, much better than expected
    67. Chernobyl - magnificent miniseries, great acting, powerful subject and very well executed. Well deserved Emmys.
    68. The Tourist - better than expected, but I'm glad it was Netflix and not something I have to make room for.
    69. Bourne Legacy - better than I remembered, Renner and Weitz are superb.
    70. A Star Is Born - impressive directorial debut by Bradley Cooper, and Lady GaGa is superb. Stunning cinematography.
    71. Catch me if you can - Spielberg, Di Caprio and Hanks, good entertainment, if a bit lightweight.
    72. Iron Sky, the coming race - so stupid it's funny, and some really funny meta jokes, gotta love those crazy Finns.
    73. Lord of War - one of Cage's best.
    74. Shrek - while the animation maybe doesn't hold up, the story and the voices still do. Great.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2019 at 12:22 AM
  5. Denton

Denton Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

1. The Vanishing Gerard Butler flick about lighthouse keepers, murder, and guilt. Worth seeing.
    2. On The Basis Of Sex Origin story for the amazing RBG. Terrific.
    3. Glass Better than most M Night films. Perhaps worth it just for James McAvoy.
    4. Serenity Bad enough to make Glass look good. On the other hand, Anne Hathaway looked good to me for the first time.
    5. A Dog's Way Home Terrific acting by the dogs and even the cats.
    6. Miss Bala Sicario meets Miss Congeniality. Entertaining in spite of the lousy reviews.
    7. Free Solo Documentary about climbing El Capitan without a rope let alone a net. Especially fun on the IMAX screen.
    8. Cold Pursuit Every January-February we get another revenge-themed film with Liam Neeson. This one has a twisted sense of humor, enough to make it a passable entertainment. There are Utes and I'm not referring to anyone in a Joe Pesci movie.
    9. What Men Want Tepid, often crude variant of What Women Want with Mel Gibson.
    10.Tully Another surprising performance from Charlize Theron. Good.
    11.Ghosts of Girlfriends Past Matthew McConaughey rom-com from 2009 spun for Valentines Day. Weak. Even the wife fell asleep. Emma Stone plays a teenager with enthusiasm.
    12.The President's Analyst 1967 flick with James Coburn in the title role. I don't know why but it just seemed like the right thing to re-view now. Some dated stuff and some real laughs. Features the late great Godfrey Cambridge.
    13.Captive State The script needed another run through the word processor. But there are enough good ideas for me to forgive its failings. A mixed bag that may appeal to other sci-fi fans. Includes John Goodman and Vera Farmiga. Directed and co-written by Rupert Wyatt (Rise of the Planet of the Apes). I suspect this flick will enjoy more success on cable and streaming services.
    14.Us Surprisingly non-scary R rated horror film, I found it modestly entertaining. Peele has successfully woven some sociological/political stuff into the story, and he clearly has talent.
    15.The Highwaymen Counterpoint to Arthur Penn's (Bonnie & Clyde) study of the cult of personality. Languid pacing, beautifully shot, with fine performances.
    16.Hellboy This latest reboot has neither Ron Perlman nor Guillermo del Toro nor anything else possibly redeeming. Weak.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
  6. John Celardo

John Celardo Well-Known Member Donor

1. Hell's Angles - the 1929 movie directed by Howard Hughes with Jean Harlow. The dog fight scenes were way ahead of their time.
    2. Being George Clooney - a documentary about dubbing actors. Saw it on the plane on the way home, highly recommended.
    3. A Quiet Place - also on the plane. Lots of terror, but little plausibility.
    4. Peppermint - yes, the plane. Jennifer Garner turns vigilante after a drug cartel kills her daughter and husband. Meh!
    5. Labyrinth of Lies, terrific German language film about the first post WW II prosecution of Nazi soldiers who were at Auschwitz during the war. No explosions, and not for everyone, but a very good film.
    6. The Other Side of the Wind - Documentary about Orson Welles' final final film, CHAOS!
    7. Cold War - Saw this in the City today. Polish language film nominated for 3 Academy Awards and very well deserved.
    8. Secret Things - Steamy French language film about, well I'm not sure. A couple of women trying to get ahead the old fashioned way.
    9. Roma - Beautifully filmed, but 10 nominations?
    10. Hotel Artemis - Stupid futuristic movie with Jodi Foster and Jeff Goldblum. They must have needed the work.
    11. The Bronze - An former Olympic bronze medalist kicks the attitude and becomes a human being. Just OK.
    12. Sex and Lucia - Spanish language film from 2001. It's a novel in a film in a novel. A bit confusing but worth watching.
    13. The Old Man & The Gun - Redford's swansong, maybe. Not bad, not great, but if you watch, keep an eye out for visual references to his early movies. I caught two, there are probably more.
    14. A Star Is Born - I liked it a lot, but way too long. The concert scenes sounded great when the PSA 15 incher kicked in.
    15. A Star Is Born - The 1937 version with Frederic March and Janet Gaynor. The print was awful, but it was great fun to watch.
    16. Free Solo - Wow, liked it a lot. Fun to watch, but very crazy stuff to do.
    17. De Palma - A documentary about Brian De Palma's directing career. Self aggrandizing.
    18. BlackkKlansman - David is right, Spike is definitely back. Lots of references to today's events.
    19. Double Lover - French movie by Francois Ozon about twin psychoanalysts who share a young woman. Very similar to the 1988 Jeremy Irons film Dead Ringers, directed by David Cronenberg
    20. Bohemian Rhapsody - I wasn't expecting to like this movie as much as I did. I was never a big Queen fan, but the music was terrific. Not sure Rami Malek was the best actor.
    21. The Favorite - It was OK.
    22. The Little Death - An Australian movie about four couples and their strange relationships.
    23. Can You Forgive Me? - Melissa McCarthy and Richard Grant were terrific in this real-life story about the difficulty of making a living as a writer.
    24. Vice - Christian Bale got Dick Cheney down! Not just the voice, but the mannerisms. The Cheney head tilt was spot on. Rummy and W were a bit too buffoonish, but...
    25. Three Identical Strangers - Good, spooky documentary about triplets who reunite. There are strange social engineering elements to the story.
    26. Studio 54 The Documentary - Great story about the origin, rise and fall of the iconic New York disco. Maureen and I went there just before it closed.
    27. 13 Minutes - Great German language film about an attempt to assassinate Adolph Hitler. Lots of time jumping, and well worth watching.
    28. Calvary - Interesting movie about the sex scandal in the Catholic church in Ireland.
    29. Adore - Robin Wright and Naomi Watts have sex with each others sons in an Australian beach community. Odd.
    30. A Scanner Darkly - Drek!
    31. Everyone's Fine - De Niro is a recently widowed dad trying to bring his family together. OK.
    32. Victoria & Abdul - Judy Dench is Queen Victoria who is taught about Islam by an Indian Clerk.
    33. Break Point - Brothers get together after years apart to play competitive doubles tennis.
    34. First Man - Ryan Gosling wasn't too convincing.

Back after the summer away. Got some catching up to do.

35. Aquaman - An extravaganza that was just OK.
    36. The Wife - Glen Close writes the novels, Jonathan Pryce gets the Nobel Prize. Great movie.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2019
  7. Jay Brown

Jay Brown Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

1. ROMA
    2. Mission Impossible: Fallout
    3. Solo: A Star Wars Story (repeat)
    4. Birdbox (repeat)
    5. Annihilation

Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
  8. jasn

jasn Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

1. The Sisters Brothers (2018); FYC Screener: The best western I've watched since Godless. Powerful cast with John C. Reilly, Joaquin Phoenix, Jake Gyllenhall and Riz Ahmed. First English language film from French director Jacques Audiard. Beautifully shot in Spain. It's a brutal masterpiece that got a standing ovation the at Venice Film Festival. Went nowhere in theaters last Summer. Highly recommended.
    2. Roma (2018); Netflix: Excellent
    3. Elizabeth I (2005); HBO Go: Helen Mirren (stunning as usual). A good, albeit depressing story. The sets are remarkable, you can just smell the musty drapes and smokey candles.
    4. The King and I (1956); Amazon HD; Yule Brenner (stunning as usual ;)). My wife and I like to go back and rediscover the classics. This fit the bill.
    5. Leave No Trace (2018); Amazon HD: Ben Foster. Serious story line. Liked it a lot.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
  9. CJ

CJ Bronze Member Admin Top Poster

Cleaned up thread to keep it just a list. Will delete this comment eventually as well.

10. Chris Smith

Chris Smith Well-Known Member

Updated with a bunch of movies.

HIghlights - BlacKKKlansman was great, Vice was good, 100 Things was fun if you don't mind reading subtitles.

Lowlights - Holy shit, National Lampoon's Adam and Eve might be one of the worst "movies" I've ever seen. Terrible. I don't know who paid who to have the National Lampoon's name put on this movie, I've seen some bad stuff with their name on it, but usually there's at least SOMETHING in there that's a little funny. Not this one.

11. DustinDavis

DustinDavis Well-Known Member

1. Guardians of the Galaxy vol 2. Rewatch. Still hilarious. Ahahahahaha! I have famously huge turds.
    2. Russell Brand: Re: Birth. I like Russell Brand's standup. I found a previous special called "Messiah Complex" to be much funnier than this one though.
    3. Mission: Impossible. Not a bad movie. One thing I like about this one is it's not really an action movie. I guess that's what some people don't like about it. OK the kids have been on a tear with these so we have watched several. Very questionable parenting on my part since they seem to get increasingly violent.
    4. MI:2. In fact I watched only parts of this because the family was watching it. For the life of me I do not understand what people see in John Woo. The best part of this movie was Tom Cruise's hair, and all the girls in my house hated his hair in this movie. It's just terrible.
    5. Ready Player One. Rewatch. I think I'm starting to enjoy this more as I watch it more. My older daughter loves it so it keeps coming up. I did purchase it in HD on Vudu so we can watch it whenever.
    6. Mission: Impossible III. Man, I miss Philip Seymour Hoffman.
    7. Mission: Impossible: Ghost Protocol. Love the Burj Dubai scene.
    8. Mission: Impossible: Rogue Nation. Love the "hanging from the plane scene". This and Ghost Protocol I think are the two strongest.
    9. Mission: Impossible: Fallout. Honestly did not like this as much as the prior two. Just felt like one goddamn thing after another. Went on too long.
    10. Cloudy With A Chance of Meatballs (Netflix series). I watched one episode with the kids. Gosh I love the original movie. This didn't live up to it. I think they cast the lead voice poorly. It's annoying.
    11. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. Watched this with the older daughter and my wife since the kid wanted to. We didn't finish the movie. At some point very early on, I thought "holy crap...this is terrible". Thank goodness, at some point later we took a break in the movie, all of us agreed on that assessment, and we stopped maybe halfway. What an incredible waste of a talented cast.
    12. Avengers: Infinity War. So, I like that all the Marvel movies are connected. Not sure I like just throwing the kitchen sink at it the way this one does. Thanos is a great character though. Interested in the next one. This one pissed my daughter off because of the ending. Like she doesn't want to watch it again. I'll bet she changes her mind after she sees the next one.
    13. Ant-Man And The Wasp. I loved it. Kids loved it. So much fun, like so many of the Marvel movies.
    14. True Detective: Season 3. Meh.
    15. Free Solo. Super highly recommended documentary about Alex Honnold and his stunning rock climbing achievement--a free solo climb up El Capitan, without ropes or assistance. Review here.
    16. Valley Uprising. Following in footsteps of Free Solo, picked this on Netflix. It was OK. More of a history of rock climbing in Yosemite. Sort of a romantic look at it all. It was entertaining but mostly forgettable.
    17. The Dawn Wall. Also on Netflix. Story of Tommy Caldwell and climbing partner Kevin Jorgeson free climbing the Dawn Wall on El Capitan (self-sustained, but with ropes)--first time anyone ever did it. It took 19 days. Unbelievably difficult. No way this could be soloed. Tommy Caldwell is an interesting dude and very different from Alex Honnold. He eschews soloing as too dangerous, which makes sense as a father. He's had some interesting things in his past too, such as getting kidnapped by militants/terrorists while climbing in Kyrgyzstan, which ended in Tommy and his friends escaping--after he pushed one of them off a sheer cliff to his death. And losing a piece of an index finger in a table saw accident, an injury which might have meant the end of some climbers' ambitions, but not his. I picked up Caldwells' book "The Push: A Climber's Search for the Path" and it is also very good. Story of Tommy's life, culminating in the same climb covered in this move.
    18. Thor: Ragnarok. I find this movie a lot of fun. Don't think this is the first time I've reported it here. Gonna go back and watch the first two at some point although I heard the first is not so good.
    19. Love, Death, & Robots: Season 1 (Netflix). Animated anthology of what I guess I'd call "pulp science fiction". Short stories, like around 15 minutes each. I feel like I have to watch it because David Fincher's attached to it. Some better than others. I've enjoyed it. Guess the nice thing is anything you don't enjoy is over quickly.
    20. Avengers: Endgame. Holy crap, I went to an actual theater and saw this in 3D. 3D sure is better than it used to be. After a short adjustment period I really didn't notice the glasses or the experience, I was just immersed in it. Great movie. Fat Thor was hilarious.
    21. Anthony Jeselnik: Fire in the Maternity Ward (Netflix). I like Jeselnik. Definitely can count on him to push the envelope and find some way to offend basically everyone on the room. His style takes some getting used to. Sort of plodding through the bits rather than fast paced.
    22. Game of Thrones. OK, this is noteworthy since only a few months ago did I start catching up on the 7 seasons I was behind when I began. I'm in Season 5 right now. Believe it or not I managed to stay totally ignorant of what happened through the end of Season 7 before I started. I keep running into Season 8 spoilers, but that's OK. I'll just enjoy the ride, which I am very much. Loves me some Dinklage. I think I can relate--we both drink and know things. :)
    23. Hardcore Henry. I really cannot figure out what made me want to watch this. Even when I say to myself "but it's all filmed POV like a first person shooter", I still don't find it compelling. Perhaps then it does without saying that I didn't enjoy this and didn't finish it. I think I lasted about 15 minutes.
    24. Ralph Breaks The Internet: Wreck-It Ralph 2. Liked it. As a reasonable measure for how much--I didn't really enjoy or remember Finding Dory, the sequel to Finding Nemo, so to like this more must say something. Although, I think my favorite part must have been the Rick-Roll, which really made me LOL.
    25. The Highwaymen (Netflix). This movie, about the last days of Bonnie and Clyde and the hunt for them led by two Texas Rangers--is really good. Costner and Harrelson are terrific. I get the feeling neither is really stretching far beyond their own personality. Maybe that's what makes their performances seem so effortless. In any case, I really loved this story and it made me want to go buy a book re: the same.
    26. Stranger Things (Season 1 and 2). I'd already seen S1. But the kids and wife hadn't. Surprised my wife liked it. Science fiction is not her jam. But she's totally hooked also, and now we're starting S3. I don't need to elaborate...pretty sure everyone else is ahead of me on this one.
    27. New Girl. I'd already seen this entire series. But I watched a few episodes again because we were trying to show my mom something she could get into. She's totally hooked. This is one of the best comedy series ever IMO.
    28. The Wandering Earth. A Chinese movie that was a huge hit there. I wanted to like this, but I don't think I did. The premise is really interesting. But as dumb as Armageddon was, it might be less dumb than this.
    29. Ash vs. Evil Dead Season 3. Haven't finished yet but I will. So great, but yeah it's probably run its course.