The diet of Mike.

Discussion in 'Food and Drink' started by Mike, Jul 30, 2020 at 8:26 AM.

1. Mike

Mike Bon Vivant Donor Top Poster

I remember I had a thread of this title many years back. And now....history repeats. :)
    I started Slim Fast a month ago when I stepped on a grocery store scale and saw 222 lbs. After 45 days of "quarantine" I had put on 10lbs. I knew then it was time to do something.

I'm not much on "fad diets" or looking at carbs or sodium or anything like that. In my mind (feeble as it is) the fewer calories in, the weight will drop off. So, what can I buy that will give me the nutrients I need without the calories?

Slim Fast will get me to where I need to be, and once at that point I can make diet adjustments when I get back to "real food". Currently I am restricting my caloric input to 1300 calories. 200 for breakfast and lunch, 600 for dinner and 3 100 calorie snacks throughout the day.

One month gone by, today I am at 203.5 That's 19.5 lbs gone. My goal right now is 190, but I will adjust in 5lb increments when I get there. I don't believe in making unrealistic goals to start out with and then failing.

So, my friends, I am looking for lo-cal suggestions. Not exercise, not stay away from carbs, food that is low in calories. For instance, a hard boiled egg has 50 calories. Nutri-Grain bars have 120 calories. A bowl of spaghetti with sauce and 2 meatballs is 550 calories. THAT is what I need, real food...low calories.

Whatcha got? :)

2. Chris Slade

Chris Slade Well-Known Member Top Poster

skinless chicken breast

Mike likes this.
  3. Chris Slade

Chris Slade Well-Known Member Top Poster

canned tuna

Mike likes this.
  4. CJ

CJ Bronze Member Admin Top Poster

Try to eat more whole foods. An egg is good, steel cut oats for breakfast. I don't want to preach at you but Nutri-Grain bars are breakfast candy bars. They have tons of added sugar and little protein or fiber.

Breakfast options
    Steel cut oats
    Brown rice with a poached egg
    Hard boiled egg
    Small egg and cheese omelette

Lunch
    Turkey sandwich on whole grain (mustard not mayo)
    Pickles (if you don't have a sodium issue)
    Brown rice bowl (add 2-3 oz of meat and as much veg as you want)
    Quinoa bowl (same)

Dinner
    Whole meats (grilled chicken, steak, pork tenderloin)
    Side salad helps fill you up
    Roasted veggies
    Potatoes (I won't avoid like a roasted new potato but I like to make sure there's a vegetable with so its not just steak and potatoes. I don't really care for big steamed russets, I find them mealy)

Jack Keck and Mike like this.
  5. Mike

I have discovered that at Outback I can have a 6oz sirloin, a salad with oil and vinegar and some broccoli and stay under my 600 calories. I also bring a turkey,swiss and mustard sandwich with me for lunch (single slice of bread) and stay below the 200 calorie allotment. I am drinking unsweetened tea and an occasional diet Pepsi.

My mid morning snack as I type is a handful of corn nuts....a weakness. :)

We are using the heck out of our air fryer.

Thanks for the suggestions, keep 'em coming.

6. CJ

CJ Bronze Member Admin Top Poster

I've also been doing more vegetarian meals just because I know some of the systems like WW most vegetables are zero points. I don't do WW but I kind of know how all the system work and pick and pull from many. So I figure if I make a rice bowl I can throw as much broccoli and red peppers and onions as I want in it.

7. Mike

One of my go to meals from the last attempt was yellow rice and steamed broccoli. I would do that for dinner every night. I did drop lots of weight, but didn't follow up with regular foods after the rice and broccoli got tiresome. Gained it all back and then some.

8. Mike B

Mike B Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

A raw veggie plate before supper will put down your appetite nicely. Carrots, peppers, radishes and cukes. Great crunch and flavor. Filling, nourishing and extremely low cal.

pillatier, jasn, Mike and 1 other person like this.
  9. Denton

Denton Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

CJ has expressed his understanding that weight loss that lasts requires a lifestyle change. Rapid weight loss seems to cause the body to want to return to its previous "homeostasis". Eat vegetables and fruit as much as possible. Avoid processed foods like the plague.

My oldest son is in his 40's. A vegan, he still wears clothes he had in high school.

DYohn and Mike like this.
  10. DYohn

DYohn Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

^^ Precisely. Diets don't work in the long run. Lifestyle change does.

Jack Keck and pillatier like this.
  11. Mike

I am using the diet to get to my goal weight and then the lifestyle choice. I want to get there fast. Lifestyle changes are notoriously slower. Combo method.

DYohn likes this.
  12. pillatier

pillatier Bronze Member

Slim Fast - takes me back to my grad school days I used to do spot lab QC check for then brand owner Thompson Medical in my college lab. Thompson Medical had a contract with the college and my major prof was their consultant. It was kind of crappy chalky tasting product then. But Thompson Medical owner Mr. Abramham did pay for my Ph.D. program, I am still thankful to him for that. SlimFast - Wikipedia

DYohn likes this.
  13. pillatier

pillatier Bronze Member

Some cheese, ham, salami, few whole grain crackers and a just one glass of wine. Perfect hot summer dinner on the deck.

Mike and DYohn like this.
  14. Mike B

The wife suggested we do Weight Watchers together. I balked at first, but then agreed as it would be a shared activity. I have to admit that it does work, started at 245 lbs May the first and now at 224. They have loaded an impressive amount of food items into their database so it's easier to figure the "points".

Yeah, WW is all about the "points". But the cool thing is you can eat (and drink) anything you want. You just have to pay the "price" with your point allotment. I have to admit of all the various "diet plans" out there this makes sense. No deprivation, nothing is forbidden, no radical changes are needed. Not to mention it works.

Mike likes this.
  15. DustinDavis

DustinDavis Bronze Member

Beans beans the musical fruit. Chickpeas, lentils.

Mike likes this.
  16. Pete Mazz

Pete Mazz Well-Known Member

I lost ~60 lbs over the last few years. Nothing special and I wasn't in any hurry. My secret? Eat less of everything. It has worked for me. I can barely eat half of what I used to in a sitting and am absolutely full.

17. pillatier

pillatier Bronze Member

There is old Chinese wisdom, eat until you are only about 75% full. Unfortunately, we like to super size everything.

Mike likes this.
  18. Carl V

Carl V Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

According to the Japanese saying 'Hara Hachi Bu', eat ... In English; it means filling up your belly up to 80% only.
    The teaching is Confucian[9], a belief system dating back to the 5th century BCE. A similar saying to the Japanese one is found in Traditional Chinese Medicine: “Chi fan qi fen bao, san fen ji... only eat until you are 70 percent full

pillatier and Mike like this.
  19. Mike B

I've always referred to it as the 3 stages of eating;

1) I'm not hungry
    2) I'm full
    3) I'm stuffed

Good to stop somewhere between 1 and 2. I've been guilty of stage 3 more than a few times when I was younger, can't do that anymore.

pillatier and Mike like this.
  20. Mike

202.5 this morning.