"The Favourite"

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Denton, Dec 31, 2018.

1. Denton

Denton Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

Spoilers are to be avoided. A visual feast with terrific acting. Leave Mom at home if she is easily offended. Dramatic, violent and funny. One of my favourite films of the year.

DYohn likes this.
  2. Dennis Pagoulatos

Dennis Pagoulatos Well-Known Member

I saw the trailer for this when we watched Bohemian Rhapsody a few weeks ago but alas, I’ll have to wait until Netflix since the wife isn’t into it.

3. Denton

Denton Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

I'm fortunate, I guess, as my wife loves costume dramas. My son gave her a subscription to BritBox for Christmas. I have heard little understandable English since. :wink:

"The Favourite" will still be good on the smaller screen I'm sure. But it is a shame to not see the sets, costumes, etc as intended.

4. jasn

jasn Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

Watched a screener today, just in time for the Oscars, and found it thoroughly entertaining with several great moments of stinging comedy (especially the dance). Costumes, sets and music is great. It does have it's level of "darkness", as it is being portrayed in the media almost everywhere. But I suggest that is, in part, because the main characters are female and therefore branded as "conniving bitches". Were it two men in the same roles, well, I think we've seen that script many times already. I give it a solid 4/5 stars.

My wife and I always wonder and wind up researching, after watching yet another movie or TV show about the British Empire, how close to reality the script really is. Turns out this outlandish story line is much closer to the truth that you'd have thought after watching it.

Denton likes this.
  5. DYohn

DYohn Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

My wife gave this 4 stars. I say more like 2.5, but enjoyable.

6. Carl V

Carl V Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

David, I imagine you’re not much of a costume drama guy or merchant and ivory aficionado.

7. DYohn

DYohn Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

I like some of their films. Room With A View was brilliant. I found The Favourite to be a bit tedious and soap-opera-like,