The real reason SUVs and crossovers sell so well

Discussion in 'The VIP Lounj' started by CJ, Oct 8, 2018.

1. CJ

CJ Bronze Member Admin Top Poster

https://jalopnik.com/the-real-reason-all-these-crossovers-are-selling-like-c-1829595250

DYohn likes this.
  2. DYohn

DYohn Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

This is true. It's why we are very interested in the new Audi and Jaguar electric crossovers as my wife has trouble getting out of the Tesla.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
  3. Phil A

Phil A Well-Known Member Top Poster

Definitely true. I used to drive roadsters and an SUV but now I just have an SUV.

4. Denton

Denton Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

My wife has frequently expressed her fondness for being up higher and being able to "see" better.

Dan Driscoll likes this.
  5. Mike B

Mike B Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

I still like "large cars"

Denton likes this.
  6. Randy Rhoton

Randy Rhoton Well-Known Member Donor

My Grand Marquis does seem a bit too low to the ground getting out of it when my knees are acting up. But I'm keeping it. It's paid for. And a really comfy ride.

Denton likes this.
  7. carlthess40

carlthess40 Member

I have a lot of cars at my disposal. My brother has over 25 muscle cars new and old. And before you start with the rich man BS let me say that we grow up poor as poor can be. When my dad said we are getting new bikes for x-mas. That just meant that he was not going to beat us for (finding) a new bike
    Anyway. My brother has worked very hard and long for his wealth and shares it with everyone, his toys that is
    I can drive a 1200hp 2008 Shelby Mustang or a 1964 galaxy 500 with the 427 dual 4’s NASCAR motor or any of his 75k plus trucks
    Or my 07 mustang, I always go back to my 02 ford sport trac truck . Yes I have a bad back and legs and it’s always the best on my body. Last week I drove from Orlando to the Miami customs port to trailer back some stuff for my brother. I got to drive one of his trucks. A top of the line, no cost spared 2019 F450 with all the bells that you can get or ask for
    After 12 hours in that truck, and yes it was a delightful truck to drive. When I got back into my little old sport trac truck I was thinking, was that 100K truck really that much better then my 6k truck? Well yes in ways as of having a/c and heated seats. And that was the only thing. When I drive my mustang or any of my brothers over the top. Unreplaceable 1960’s or newer muscle cars
    I feel like I’ve been hit with a bat over and over
    So I do believe that’s one of the biggest reasons for the high sales of SUV’s
    Just my personal,long 2cents of thoughts

8. Mike B

I drove Kelly's (Toyota crossover) when she was using my car for a trip to LA. Did not like it, felt too big. And you do need to "climb up into them" which is kinda different.

But they are popular with the retired set for just that reason. Which explains the death of large cars too. The oldies are going SUV and the youngsters are going small cars.

9. Jay Brown

Jay Brown Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

I had a Ford Escape for a rental when I had my wreck in the spring, and the first thing I noticed was how easy it was to get in and out of the car. The second thing I noticed was how many Crossovers were on the road. It never crossed my mind, but tons of these vehicles were on the highway. The Third thing I noticed, great gas mileage, in the low to mid 30s, and 4th, it cost less than $30 to fill up the tank.

My Camaro sits low to the ground and because I had lower back pain all last week, it was a struggle to get in and out of the car. Some days I thought I would be trapped in the car, for fear of having any sharp pain over come my back. I was thankful I was off from Thursday to Sunday because I stayed home and on the couch those days.

I hate it that Full-Sized cars are being overtaken by CUVs and Mid-sized Sedans, and some of them are becoming a "niche" product, which means "slow death" IMO, but from what I described above, plus the height and visability one gains from driving a CUV, it's inevitable for these cars to saturate the market. Corollas are the modern Tercels these days and Camrys are the modern Corollas.

10. CJ

CJ Bronze Member Admin Top Poster

You must be a short dude if you have to climb up into a Toyota crossover. My wife has an Armada and even that is barely a step up for me. My mom's CR-V is just open the door and sit down.

11. Mike B

The seat is high than my ass when I'm standing.

Maybe I'll use that for the next vehicle selection eh? Seat level with standing ass or just slightly below to account for angling in.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
  12. Phil A

Phil A Well-Known Member Top Poster

That's because it's legal in CA:)

Denton and DYohn like this.
  13. DYohn

DYohn Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

I haven't been high as my ass in many years......

Denton and Phil A like this.
  14. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll HTT Refugee Donor

That's my wife, as well.

15. DustinDavis

DustinDavis Well-Known Member

Same here. The only thing I dislike about my Civic is getting in and out of it.

16. John Celardo

John Celardo Well-Known Member Donor

Ha, the low thing is funny. I drive my 300ZX almost every day, and as the years pass it gets harder to fold myself into it. My knees are still pretty flexible so getting out isn't so tough. My roof line is lower than most SUV window sills. I don't like SUVs and will never drive or own one. Most of them I've ridden in have almost no cargo space unless you drop the back seats. I like cars!

17. Denton

Denton Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

I recently bought a large bedroom dresser. It fit in the back of my Ford Edge (after folding the back seat) without a hiccup, including closing the hatch. And I bought a new chaise for the patio yesterday. It also fit comfortably in the back along with a full load of groceries. Realize that the Edge is smaller than both the Explorer and the Expedition. I'd still be waiting for my brother-in-law and his pick-up truck if I was driving a full-size sedan. Carrying stuff is a real reason for many to own these vehicles.

18. Randy Rhoton

Randy Rhoton Well-Known Member Donor

For many years my daily driver was a 3/4 ton Dodge van. Got tired of being asked "can you haul this for me?" or "can you help me move?" All that came to a halt when I finally sold it. These days I don't need cargo space very often and don't mind borrowing a truck or suv.

Denton likes this.
  19. Mike B

Yeah. If you need to get something big home from Home Depot you can rent their (way bigger than a pickup) for $30.

20. Jason Lorette

Jason Lorette Well-Known Member

I went from a Hyundai Tucson to my Mini Cooper Clubman...not sure you'll ever see me not in a Mini now...they are just too damn fun to drive! Also very good on gas. :P

DYohn likes this.