The real reason SUVs and crossovers sell so well

Discussion in 'The VIP Lounj' started by CJ, Oct 8, 2018.

1. CJ

CJ Bronze Member Admin Top Poster

I went the same way and can't wait to get back into an SUV. The pros don't outway the cons for me.

2. Mike

Mike Bon Vivant Top Poster

I wrestle myself in and out of my Miata. Well, I actually fall into it and climb out. It took a while for me to figure out just how to get out with the least amount of effort, but once that was mastered it is fairly routine.

I can pretty much slide right into our Element. Just stand beside the seat and slip right in. Easy peasy.

All that being said, driving the Miata is worth every bit of effort and then some. I drive the Element only when we need to pick up something large.

3. GHilinski

GHilinski Well-Known Member

The mini SUV's are all over the northeast. I don't think that it is because they are easy to get into but the only AWD cars here are BMW and Audi which are expensive, and you need AWD up here in the winter. I think Ford made a Fusion AWD but that is about it other then the mini utes. My wife has one and it is ok but I would not drive every day.

Jason Lorette likes this.
  4. Jason Lorette

Jason Lorette Well-Known Member

I drive my Mini Cooper Clubman, front wheel drive, all winter...in Canada, lol. Good set of winter tires and these cars are tanks in the snow (and a lot of fun in the snow).

5. pillatier

pillatier Well-Known Member

The Audi sits lower than the TSX, getting in is not difficult, but to get out I have swing around get both feet out then stand up. Damn old age! Luckily I am skinny and still quite flexible.

I don't like high CG vehicles, last time I had a Ford Escape (a rental) I felt like I will have it on its side if I am not careful, same with a RDX loaner. I am used to making fast sharp turns. A friend once observed "you take turns like an 18 wheeler" for the near right angle turns I tend to make.

CUV and SUVs are good for hauling a lot of stuff, the hatchback on the Audi is close. If the new Honda Accord will have a hatchback that would be a great sedan for a great price.

6. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Active Member

I feel the same way about my Jeep Wrangler as the Mini Cooper guys feel from a “fun to drive” standpoint. Especially with roughly 5” of lift over stock (lift kit and larger tires). It definitely is not good on gas, but I’ve enjoyed this vehicle more than any I’ve ever owned, which shocked me considering I’ve always wanted a German sports sedan. I do tend to drive the Jeep as if it were a sports sedan though.