Thunder Over South Georgia

Discussion in 'Photography' started by Jay Brown, Nov 4, 2019.

1. Jay Brown

Jay Brown Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

I haven't been to an airshow since 2017. I had to get out of the house, so I took a 3 hour drive down to Lake City, Georgia to Moody Air Force Base. While it is a military installation, the setting was more of a localized Regional Airport type of Airshow. Security was pretty relaxed compared to other Military Venues I've visited. In all, I had a great time.

Still using my Nikon D3300 with a Sigma 160-600 Contemporary Lens.
    I was rather rusty, but because of my knowledge of the Blue Angels Demonstration, I was able to snap some decent photos. I also got rid of Adobe Light Room, and now I'm using a free app called Dark Room. It has the same features as Light Room, but it will take some time to adjust to this application.

uc?export=download&id=1fVoXGPInaDzGBWgPqHq4DiWb6RhWVS02.jpg uc?export=download&id=1LX_aiSwEUrQGZG32vtCHHJxPR3D_N1xb.jpg uc?export=download&id=1HjPRT13XNNsxmYxmmQj41e9sRMeSc_BX.jpg uc?export=download&id=152W1uPRXVJ9SE7kGovxQvUVPZuwbLAkr.jpg uc?export=download&id=1aLBcTU8X4a7HVM0Hhc5gTxBXz6XEQEHx.jpg

Rick C and jasn like this.
  2. jasn

jasn Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

No rust on what I'm seeing. Nice work Jay. I'm impressed with some of the angles you captured (created?).

3. Jay Brown

Thanks, the second picture with the Blue Angels Echelon Parade Formation ( I need to adjust the expose on this image by the way) can only be taken if you're not at Center-Point. I always position around Center-Point, but there were just too many people moving back and forth in that area, so I moved to the right-side of the Center-Point. I also have the do a more thorough cleaning of the sensor.

One more thing I have to remember is what SD Card to use when snapping photos. I have a few Sandisk Extreme Cards with 90mb buffers. Very quick snaps with RAW files. Instead I used a Sony 64 Gig Card, and the camera struggled with buffering. The performance of the card was more prevalent when I was editing photos.

4. Phil Rose

Phil Rose Active Member

Those are great!! I love the Blues. The last shot shows how incredibly big the aircraft are compared to the P51.

Re. Lightroom: I’ve tried some others but always love the UI on LR. I think I’m just not interested in investing the time to learn another. I’m not a fan of the subscription model for software but, I’m becoming more resigned to the reality. At least with CC I get access to PhotoShop and Bridge which I use on occasion.

5. Jay Brown

I was expecting an F4U Corsair along with the P51 Mustang. I usually see this combination for Heritage Flights. I have some photos I need to finish for a rescue performance which involved two Warthogs, two F15 Eagles, and two Sikorsky Black Hawk Helicopters. At the MCAS Beaufort, SC Show, they have F18s in place of the F15s for a similar demonstration. Both demonstrations are awesome!!

I unsubscribed to CC after I wasn't using the software. So eventually I was wasting 10 bucks a month. Dark Room, for what it has to offer, really surprised me, as I'm able to edit my photos in the same manner as Light Room, with a little bit of a learning curve.

The difference in size between the P51 and F22 is huge. It reminds me of when my oldest brother was stationed in Louisiana back in the 80s. He sent a picture of his sitting inside an F5 Tiger and another pic of him sitting inside an F15 Eagle. The Eagle dwarfed the Tiger.

6. Barry_NJ

Barry_NJ Well-Known Member

Nice shots!
    #2 is awesome! If it weren't for the slight imperfection in their alignment, it looks Photoshop'd!

7. Phil Rose

Phil Rose Active Member

FYI: I streamed “Blue Angles: Around the World at the Speed of Sound” (1994) a month or two ago and found it quite interesting.

8. Jay Brown

Exactly. I'm usually at Center-Point where you can get a nice side-view of the formation flying by. This time around, being at the left-hand side of the crowd, and noticing the formation turning towards me, it was "spray and pray" for about 10 seconds.

9. Jay Brown

Is this the documentary with Dennis Quaid?

10. Phil Rose

Phil Rose Active Member

Yes

11. Jay Brown

I remember seeing that years ago on The Discovery Channel!!

What I really enjoy is finding old video clips and documentaries of both the Blue Angels and Thunderbirds from the 50s, 60s, and 70s. Those "Phantom" years when both teams flew the same plane are awesome. My brothers would tell me about how loud they were. I first saw both teams in 81. The A4 Skyhawk for the Blues, and the T38 Talon for the Thunderbirds. I didn't have an appreciation for the Talons until a few years ago. It was such as tragic era for the Thunderbirds that I tried my best to not think of them during those years. I was also not a fan of the F18 Hornets for the Blue Angels at first. I always felt the Diamond and Delta formations with these planes did not look as perfectly symmetrical compared to the Skyhawks.

My goal now is the see the Red Arrows. I've been a fan of this team for as long as I've been with the US Teams. I had a bit of a taste of an international team when the Patrouille De France Demonstration Team performed along with the Thunderbirds in Melbourne, Florida a few years ago.

12. sridhar

sridhar New Member

Great pics Jay. Nice to see someone with common interest in airshow photography. The Blue Angels, UK Red Arrows, F22 and others WWII planes performed at the St. Louis airshow this July. I was lucky to get some nice pic's. Here are some..

https://photos.app.goo.gl/2fuNtssxnzysUFUR7

Barry_NJ and Jay Brown like this.
  13. Jay Brown

Awesome pics!! That Blue Angels Bearcat!!!
    Growing up in Lakehurst,NJ I lived about a mile from the Naval Airbase there before it merged with McGuire AFB. They had an F11 Blue Angel "on a stick" for years. It was replaced with an F18, but it wasn't an old Blue Angels, just a plane possibly from a Carrier.

When the Red Arrows come back to the States, that's going to be either a long road trip or a plane trip. If they come to the south east, I'm there!!

Thanks for the pics!!!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

14. Barry_NJ

Barry_NJ Well-Known Member