"Vice"

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Denton, Dec 26, 2018.

1. Denton

Denton Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

"Vice" is a snarky bit of film-making starring Christian Bale as Dick Cheney. Director Adam McKay has a reputation as a left coast liberal. That said, I found the film fascinating and probably largely accurate. Any questions in your own mind can be be addressed by reading The Dark Side by Jane Mayer as well as a number of other Cheney related books, including Dick and Liz Cheney's tome In My Time: A Personal and Political Memoir.

I have doubts about the popularity of this film in its theatrical release. Those doubts are based on the response of the audience I saw the film with. "Vice" runs well over 2 hours and there are times its pace lags and others when it felt a bit rushed in its effort to tie all threads into a neat bow. Regardless, I recommend the film, especially if you have doubts about some of the choices that were made during that time and/or an interest in unexpected performances.

2. JeffC

JeffC Well-Known Member Donor

I couldn't believe how great Bale looked in the trailer. Havent seen it yet but probably will next Tuesday.

I recently read passages from a history of intelligence (A Secret World) which has some interesting tales of intelligence during that time.