What are you reading 2016?

Discussion in 'Books' started by John F, Feb 2, 2016.

1. Mike B

Mike B Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

All of you "high tech" readers will be happy to know that I ordered a Kindle. It's Kelly's doing. Well sort of.

She likes to cuddle with her head on my shoulder while I'm reading and waiting for the sleepy drugs to take hold. Trying to read a paperback with a head on your shoulder is not easy nor fun. I figure I can one hand the Kindle and solve the problem. We shall see.

2. Mike B

The Assassin - Clive Cussler

Another Isaac Bell adventure. This wasn't the first of the series, but it seems it was the first chronologically. Set in 1905 Bell wasn't married to the movie star yet, just getting started with the Van Dorn Agency. John D Rockefeller and the Standard Oil Trust are busy monopolizing the oil business, but they seem to having some problems with an enemy they made who is killing off their bosses.

Good fast easy "Clive stuff" - :)

3. Mike B

Make Me - Lee Child

If it's Jack Reacher, it's on my list!

This is a particularly disturbing tale of dark stuff on the "deep web", with the worst sort of evil bad guys I've read about in a long time and you just know they are evil right from the start.

But just how evil is not revealed till the end. That's when Reacher kills them all - :)

4. Mike B

The Forgotten - David Baldacci

John Puller is Baldacci's Jack Reacher. Cool names eh?

This will satisfy all your blood lust for sure, the body count is over 50.

5. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll HTT Refugee Donor

6. Mike B

Zero Day - David Baldacci

The first "John Puller" book, murders in "coal country" WV. Yup they knew too much. Puller and the local cops thwart terrorism in America.

Thrilling.

7. jasn

jasn Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

"Nobody's Fool" by Richard Russo. A flat-out funny book about a grumpy, 60 YO, hard-luck guy living in depressed upstate NY. Was made into a movie starring Paul Newman several years back. I'm teeing up a newly released sequel, which is supposed to be equally as rewarding.

8. Zak

Zak Well-Known Member

Different Seasons, Steven King. Needed a new book to read on flight and grabbed this off my shelf. Opened up the front cover and I checked this out of my high school library back in 1992. Oops.

Finished the first short story, Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank redemption. Great story though I might say the movie was actually better. Cannot remember that ever happening before. Loved the original but the changes they made plus who they got to play the characters were amazing. It's impossible to read the book without reading it in Freeman's voice. Flight home I'm going to read The Body which is what Stand By Me is based off of.

9. DYohn

DYohn Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

"Get In The Van" by Henry Rollins

10. Dennis Pagoulatos

Dennis Pagoulatos Well-Known Member

I've been reading some classic sci-fi recently. Just finished "The Dragon Masters", "Maske:Faery", and the "Alastor" trilogy, all by Jack Vance.

11. claud

claud Well-Known Member Donor

Steve Berry "the 14th Colony"

12. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member Top Poster

If I ever finish Clash of Kings I can start book three (A Storm of Swords)

13. Zak

Zak Well-Known Member

THey just keep getting better Drew.

14. CJ

CJ Bronze Member Admin Top Poster

So I've read quite a few books since my last post. Here are some thoughts.

I finished reading the Fractured Era books. They were OK. The marketing of the book is really confusing though. I bought a "trilogy" for $.99 but it really feels like one book with three sections. There is, at a minimum, a fourth book coming. I did a little follow-up. The author appears to be a fairly young girl. The book suffers from some problems that probably relate to the lack of maturity of the author. Reminds me of when I read Aragon and then not until afterwords did I realize the author was like 15 when he wrote the first book. Made sense then. I'd give this maybe 2.5/5 stars.

After that I read 11/22/63. This is a Stephen King book about a guy who travels back in time with the intention of preventing the Kennedy assassination. This book was right in my wheelhouse and I couldn't put it down. It was one of those books that ends and you're like "shit". 5/5 stars.

I finished 11/22 on my cruise and discovered I could buy books on my Kindle with no delivery fees while we were in port. So I was looking for a new book but only had access to Amazon's Kindle store via my Kindle to do research. I ended up picking the recommended for me The Girl on the Train. This was a psychological thriller probably geared with a target market of women more in mind but I liked it. The book deals with things like memory loss and character flaws and defnitely kept me turning the pages. 4/5 stars.

Next I read Opening Moves. This is a bit of a Ready Player One rip off. The premise is that we've made contacts with multiple alien races and we get pulled into a system where hostilities are worked out in a virtual reality game, but with the results impacting real world politics and even sovereignty. I enjoyed it OK. Its the first in what is supposed to be a series so the plot wasn't resolved and the second book isn't out yet. It truly is a poor mans Ready Player One so depending on how much you liked that book and how much you'd tolerate derivative works, you might enjoy it. 3.5/5 stars.

That brings me up to current where I'm about 20% of the way through The Passage. This was another recommended book that received at least mainstream critical acclaim. I haven't quite figured out what the book is about yet. Like I get what is happening but not what really happening. So far I like it. I'll give a final rating when I finish.

15. John F

John F Active Member

Read two newer releases...

The City of Mirrors by Justin Cronin. This is the third book in The Passage trilogy. I liked it better than the second and less than the first (I think, I don't recall too much about the second book.)

End of Watch by Stephen King. This is the third book in his Bill Hodges trilogy. Very enjoyable. My only nitpick is that it verges on supernatural, whereas the first two were straight thrillers/suspense.

16. CJ

CJ Bronze Member Admin Top Poster

End of Watch is on deck for me.

17. Mike B

Burn - James Patterson

A bizarre tale of cannibalism in NYC. This one has been sitting on the shelf for a while and I think I should have left it there. Kinda weird and disjoint.

18. Dennis Pagoulatos

Dennis Pagoulatos Well-Known Member

Just started "Cryptonomicon" by Neal Stephenson. I'm about 100 pages in and it's very entertaining so far. :tu:

19. Mike B

The Guilty - David Baldacci

The latest "Will Robie" thriller. And thrill it does. Robie goes back home to his roots. And many murders. And teams up with his fellow CIA assassin Jessica Reel to get to the truth. Good thing too as there are serial killers and contract killers after them.

Good stuff!

20. Jay Brown

Jay Brown Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

Finished Star Wars : Lost Stars, Bloodline, and Lords of the Sith.

Now working on The Big Short

Sent using LG G5