WiFi 2.4GHz vs 5GHz questions

Discussion in 'Smartphones, Computers, Gaming and Networking' started by pillatier, Dec 22, 2019.

1. pillatier

pillatier Well-Known Member

My xfinity speed is 100mbps. I cannot get more than approx 70mbps on 2.4GHz sitting right next to the MODEM where as with 5GHz I get the full speed. According to the specs at 2.4GHz the MODEM can go as high as 384mbps. Why?

Also, is 5GHz more susceptible to signal loss through walls? I see much lower speed in my living room which is downstairs and about 25 feet straight line away through three walls.

2. Phil A

Phil A Well-Known Member Top Poster Grim Reaper

3. Phil A

Phil A Well-Known Member Top Poster Grim Reaper

I just did a Speedtest wired (and my router is near me) and my download speed is about 118. Using the Speedtest App on my iPhone from a bit over a foot away from the router I get about 58.

4. pillatier

pillatier Well-Known Member

Thanks Phil. The iBwave link clears up my question of 2.4 vs 5Ghz. On my phone Moto G5+ I get about the same WiFi speeds about 70 and 100+mbps at 2.4 and 5Ghz respectively as I get on my computer also on WiFi sitting within 2 feet from the router. I will root around in the router settings to see why I cannot get faster speed at 2.4Ghz. May send a note to ARRIS if I cannot figure out.