Wojciehowicz

Discussion in 'Television' started by Jack Keck, Aug 31, 2018.

1. Jack Keck

Jack Keck Active Member

I've wondered about how the writers of BARNEY MILLER came up with Wojo's name. It hasn't been keeping me up at night, but it's something that I wish I knew. FF to this afternoon while I'm reading a book called MADE IN AMERICA by Bill Bryson. On page 118 of the paperback edition I have, he mentions Alex Wojciehowicz. So I googled this guy and found out that he was a pro football player for the Detroit Lions. I am striking out all over the place trying to find out if there is any connection between this football player and this fictional detective. I thought that someone here might have an idea where I could look this up.

Thanks in advance.

2. DYohn

DYohn Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

Generally TV character names come out of a writer's imagination, so the creators of Barney Miller (who I believe were from New York and likely not Detroit Lions fans) probably just heard the name or discovered it while looking for a funny Polish name to use for the character they wanted to create.

Jack Keck likes this.
  3. Randy Rhoton

Randy Rhoton Well-Known Member Donor

The funny part was him always telling people to "spell it like it sounds". Yeah, right.o_O

DYohn and Jack Keck like this.
  4. Jack Keck

Jack Keck Active Member

That sounds likely.

5. Max Yokell

Max Yokell Well-Known Member Top Poster

Man I loved that show!!!