Your Opinions on Profile 2.0

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Jay Brown, Sep 22, 2008.

1. Jay Brown

Jay Brown Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

Are you guys with Players with the 2.0 profile actually reaping the benefits of the current profile. Are there improvements between 1.1 and 2.0?

Just curious as I'm looking at the Sony BDP S350 and Panasonic BD30. Prices have dropped and with the Holiday Season coming shortly, these two are at the top of my list.

2. Max Yokell

Max Yokell Well-Known Member Top Poster

Jay,
    You need to ask yourself what is important do I want to just see the movie? Do I watch lots of Extras? If you find you mainly just watch the movies I wouldn't worry about the 2.0 player as all it does is allow access to some extras through the internet.

I have yet to feel like I was missing something yet with my 1.1 player but who knows the time may come.

Max

3. Steve Wright

Steve Wright Active Member

None for me so far. I have never watched an online extra before in my life. I am still on a PS3 but 2.0 would not be a selling point for a stand alone for me.

4. Jay Brown

From my experience with my SD DVDs I'll watch the extras and I love listening to audio commentaries but that's about it. I recall watching Finding Nemo with my son and there was a video game you could play with your players remote. I wasn't sure if there was an improvement with Video or Audio that came with the new profile, but if it's just interactivity, then I really don't see a need.

5. Shane

Shane Active Member

I wouldn't buy a player without 2.0. I've used the 2.0 features a few times but I can see that they will not be used by most people. That said there will be a feature you want and you can't use it because you bought a non 2.0 player. Considering the BDPS350 is $300-350, I consider getting 2.0 a no brainer.

Given that the vast majority of BR players are PS3's, I expect there to be quite a bit of 2.0 extras coming.

Also Panasonic is coming with new players which are 2.0 compliant. They are cheaper than the BD30 and 50.

6. Max Yokell

Max Yokell Well-Known Member Top Poster

Jay,
    If you have an HDMI receiver the PS3 actually makes a pretty decent player, also I believe there is a Sony 2.0 player out or coming out for around $399.

Max

7. Jay Brown

I'll have to wait and see what the BD35 has instore. I know it's a BD Live 2.0 Player with Ethernet, so I guess the price will be the deal breaker for me. More research!!!

Thanks

8. Jay Brown

Well this is why I'm looking at the BD30 because of its Analog outputs which I can utilize with my current Receiver. I do plan to replace my Sony with a new HDMI Receiver next spring, preferrably an 805, and I'm hoping I can find one by then.

9. John F

John F Active Member

Nope. Just enjoying what's on the disc. :2tu:

10. Shane

Shane Active Member

The Bd30 can't decode anything so the analog outs are worthless.

11. George Bellefontaine

George Bellefontaine Member

I'm one of those " just gimme the movie " guys, so 2.0 means zilch to me. I also don't have, nor do I want, a PC in my home theater.

12. Jay Brown

BDP350 for $258 from Amazon. Arrrggghghghg!!! If this is an indication of what's to come this holiday Season then I will be a happy camper.

13. Graeme

Graeme Active Member

So is that all that Profile 2.0 gives, content that is *not* on the disc? Or is there anything else that would be restricted for non-Profile 2.0 users?

Graeme

14. Randy Rhoton

Randy Rhoton Well-Known Member Donor

I'm with George.

15. hgroff

hgroff Member

As an owner of a Panasonic BD-50, to this day i still have not been able to resolve an issue with achieving an internet connection. I had no trouble what so ever with my HD-A1 getting a solid internet connection.
    Frankly I have given up for now. Now dont get me wrong I love the Dolby True HD through analog, and absolutely love the HTS MA throguh analog., but as far as the 2.0 compliance its pretty much a non issue right now. When I get my 1.4 firmware update through the snail mail later this week I will make another attempt at a connection. Frankly the lack of BD live is no loss so far.

16. Shane

Shane Active Member

Graeme,
    The answer to that question is technically yes. In addition to the downloadable extra features, there are interactive games, interactive features planned for interaction with the studios and other fans, a movie log where you can watch the film in a quasi group setting with other people and a chat window will appear for you to make comments and stuff(like a film study group sorta).

The possibilities are endless with 2.0 stuff. Given the newest players are 2.0 upgradable(except the low end Magnavox type players), I think 2.0 is a no brainer even if you don't think you will use it because you just never know.

17. Shane

Shane Active Member

Additionally I'll say my experience with 2.0 features is lukewarm so far but again I think it's too early to make a final decision on it.

18. Jack

Jack Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

This is an interesting post. We learn something new every day.
    I have never used the 2.0 and based on what Shane has mentioned, i probably never will.
    But, it does make sense to buy a machine that is capable for most of us out there just in case.

19. LarryB

LarryB Active Member

+1

20. Jack

Jack Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

Even though I dont use it at this time, I am really surprised to see players still released without all of the latest options. This, sorry to say seems to be a slap in the consumers face.
    I wonder if they are trying to get hardware to the market and worry about the updates later.
    I guess I am thinking that very few folks would do the updates. Does this make the player obsolete on the day of release ?
    Then again, it would seem that everything we get electronically is obsolete within a short period of time these days. I need to move into the new millennium:D