Youth without Youth

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Shane, Jun 3, 2008.

1. Shane

Shane Active Member

Youth without Youth is a Francis Ford Coppola film. A first in over 10 years. After watching this film I think he should have stayed away another 10 years. This film was a pre-WWII love story/mystery starring Tim Roth. I won't give much else away if you are inclined to view it.

Personally I was bored beyond belief. The story didn't move at all and never seemed interesting and the acid trip it made you feel like was not enjoyable.

Not recommended.

On the bright side, the audio and video quality of the BRD was quite good. I thought Coppola = easy blind buy, I'm so glad I didn't buy this turd.

2. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Active Member

I'm with you on this one Shane. I felt about the same as I did watching David Aronofsky's The Fountain. The imagery was beautiful, but the story was woefully incomprehensible and pretentious.

3. CJ

CJ Bronze Member Admin Top Poster

HA! Where were you when we had the original discussion about The Fountain? So I guess I'll avoid YwY...

4. Shane

Shane Active Member

Mike,
    I felt the same way about The Fountain. I think Larry also felt it was pretentious and incomprehensible.

I wanted to like both films but there was just nothing there to like beyond the beautiful images.

5. DYohn

DYohn Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

I thought The Fountain was brilliant and really loved it. I watched it three times in two days and was pretty blown out by it, actually. Youth Without Youth is in my Netflix queue and if it is anything like Fountain I am looking forward to it.

6. LarryB

LarryB Active Member

I would be hard pressed to name a film I consider more pretentious than The Fountain. Artistic perhaps, but crappy art. I am continually astounded that David liked it.

7. DYohn

DYohn Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

I found it to be very moving and spiritual. It fit precisely into my belief system.

8. LarryB

LarryB Active Member

I like the subject matter, bu found the film both insignificant and inconsequential.

I will however give Aronovsky his props for taking risks.

9. Karl Englebright

Karl Englebright Active Member

I thought the themes explored themselves to be very interesting and thought provoking, but ultimately, they were not presented in a very interesting way. I know a philosophy major who thought the film was brilliant. Which tells me that the film failed.

10. Ron-P

Ron-P Well-Known Member

I almost blind bought this today while at BB. I'm going back tomorrow to pick up "The Ruins" and "Batman Begins" so I'm going to pick this up as well.

Being that I loved "The Fountain" this one seems to be one that I will like. I just watched the trailers and am really looking forward to it.