YouTube TV, anyone using?

Discussion in 'Television' started by Drew, Jul 25, 2018.

1. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member Top Poster

Looks like a better deal than sling. $40/month includes ESPN channels, fox sports, BTN, cbs sports, mlb, sec network... Unlimited cloud DVR, 6 accounts, 3 simultaneous streams, has an Xbox one app too.

2. Brandth

Brandth Active Member

I considered it but looking at the channel line up, I'd say for us 90% of the channel offerings don't interest us, and with my Tivo, I can record all the local channels as well as all the extra sub channels we have. None of those are offered via YTT.

Right now we use OTA and RokuTV channel apps to watch things like Food Network, HGTV, and a bunch of others as well as Hulu and Netflix.

3. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member Top Poster

My wet dream channel lineup is sports only. I couldn't care less about other channels.

4. Brandth

Brandth Active Member

Just the opposite here, I don't want or need any sports channels at all. :-)

5. CJ

CJ Bronze Member Admin Top Poster

I have very high performance expectations and I have the money to continue paying cable until a streaming service gets there. When I had DirecTV NOW it was a far cry with tons of bugs and performance issues and a god awful UI. By the time it gets there it will probably cost the same as cable.

6. Brandth

Brandth Active Member

I've heard that DTVN is really bad and not worth the cost.
    I don't have any crippling high performance expectations so streaming HD from the likes of Hulu, Netflix, HGTV, TLC, Food Network and similar streaming offerings that we watch daily are more than adequate.

7. CJ

CJ Bronze Member Admin Top Poster

Youtube TV doesn't have HGTV. Its stuff like that that are a no-go. Its not just me, I have to have a service that works for my entire household. My demands aren't that huge like a laundry list of things, its more that IT HAS TO WORK. I watch some of the "pre-season" Iowa basketball games on BigTen Plus which is app only (BigTen 2 Go plus the BigTen Plus fee). Sometimes the video goes to like 240p quality or freezes entirely and when it finishes buffering, I've missed some of the game. If that happened during Iowa v. Wisconsin football I would straight up murder someone. So I pay $300 a month for cable because there is like a .01% chance of that happening based on my 20 years experience with cable vs. a 90% chance of it happening based on my experience with BigTen 2 Go, ESPN app, and DirecTV NOW.

8. Brandth

Brandth Active Member

Yes if your deeply rooted to sports TV, streaming is tough. If all you want to do is stream some movies, binge watch older and new TV shows for both adults and kids, streaming is super easy and very pleasing to watch as well as easy to use. We use Roku TV's and Harmony remote so I've made day to day watching for the whole family as easy as one button press on the main remote.