Zack Snyder signs for Superman: Official Title is "Man of Steel" due June 2013

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Ron-P, Oct 4, 2010.

1. Jason Lorette

Jason Lorette Well-Known Member

Well...based on the trailer...I'm actually looking forward to this!

2. Max Yokell

Max Yokell Well-Known Member Top Poster

I thought 300 and Sucker Punch were style over substance movies for him, on the other hand Dawn of the Dead and Watchmen were much more complete efforts and his animated movie wasn't bad so this could go either way.

3. Zak

Zak Well-Known Member

Agreed Shane. Not a big fan of any of Snyder's work thus far.

4. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill Active Member Top Poster

Opening Friday. This is the next movie I see in the theater.

Oh, and I liked 300 and Watchmen.

5. Shane

Shane Active Member

I'm optimistic but worried Snyder will not be restrained in his Style over Substance approach.

6. Max Yokell

Think I will end up seeing it this weekend as well, but Snyder has done some stylistically hollow films though sometimes he does really well. I thought Sucker Punch sucked, but very much liked Dawn Of the Dead remake and Watchmen.

7. Steve Tannehill

I just got back from seeing it. Lots of action. Could have used a little more story. One of the people who exited the theater the same time I did said that he did not follow all the flash backs. I did.

8. Steve Tannehill

Oh, and there was applause after it was over.

9. Jay Brown

Jay Brown Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

Loved it!!!!!!!!!!

10. Carl V

Carl V Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

saw it today IMAX 3D
    it was good..not grrreat.
    the last mano a mano confrontation was over wrought.
    I enjoyed it. wish there was more story line. it was PACKED
    at 4:30PM.

11. Shane

Shane Active Member

I thought it was awful. Designed for an 8 year old with ADD to follow along.

Where do I begin?

Story? There wasn't much of one. I could spell it out in one line.

Before I go off, I'll mention what I did like:
    Kevin Costner's part. He plays a dad quite well.
    The last 5 minutes.
    The main character is a good Superman

The problem is much like Timothy Dalton was for Bond, this Superman is saddled with a litany of issues.

This movie has it all:
    Dragons vs Spaceships? Check. Ugh
    Quick Cut editing to jump from scene to scene. Check
    Little to no story. Check
    All Style No Substance? OH YES x1000000

This was Snyder on steroids. From the editing to the showy special effects to the paper thin plot, this is an embarrassment to other Comic Book Films.

12. Jay Brown

Jay Brown Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

Rise of The Silver Surfer, Green Lantern, Catwomen? If anything, we were presented with a Superman that wasn't pretty. The Phil Donahues, Oprah Winfreys, and Jerry Springers of the world exposed our own ratchedness to the world. A world where The Bradys are a Fantasy and The Conners (Rosanne) are reality. No John Williams happy score and no assurance that everything will be ok.

In all honesty, I never really cared for the Donnor Superman films, although I thought 2 was great. I never obsessed over the story or characters, too busy playing with Star Wars action figures. Superman Returns never kept my interest, plot and length of the film lost me.

This is not to say that the movie was perfect,
    some references to the Matrix which were immediate
    but for me the film was non-stop action, some deep moments, and did a decent job as a coming of age film.
    deviating from the typical 3 chapter formula of movies past, I felt it was a smart move to involve both the past and present simultaneously as he uses his experience to guide him through present life, which we all do in the first place.

I felt this film needed to have this type of presence if they are really going to move forward with a Justice League feature. Don't make it too dark, as the case with Nolan's Batman films. Don't make it silly, Green Lantern, it's a Goldilocks film.

I loved the action sequences, they portray a level of physics one would expect when dealing with people not of this earth or bio-make up, ala Terminator 2,3, and Salvation. It's what I imagined as a child how super-human beings would move and fight. The movie could have potentionally gotten darker considering the strength of these off-world characters, but luckily it was toned down quite a bit.

In all I was thoroughly entertained, my guard was down, plus I didn't spoil the experience by reading every blog in cyberspace, a bad habit I have beaten, I hope.

13. E Jones

E Jones Active Member

I enjoyed the first half. The second half turned into an alien invasion movie, with the big showdown happening among a major metropolitan city. Buildings get trashed and fall, what a concept! Ugh. I'm so tried of seeing the same story over and over again. At least the Krypton scenes were visually appealing. All the flying looked pretty good too. The heart was just cold overall though.

14. Max Yokell

OK I agree the story was a bit shallow but sitting through this movie was far from boring, I like the semi-dark spin on Superman and this was about the loudest movie I have ever seen in a theater with the most aggressive LFE track I have heard in a movie. I went to the Imax 3D version and I have always found their soundtracks seem a little juiced but this one was on serious Bane like steroids. The whole theater rocked. There were very few points when you could quietly whisper to your friend.

I really like Superman and I am beginning to thing Snyder reminds me in a way of Tim Burton. His movies tend not to have deep stories, but the look and sound is like a trademark.

I did not expect deep going in, I expected action got that in spades. I will give a solid 7.5 on a scale of 10. Bring on Lex Luthor and Brainiac or Doomsday please.

Max

15. Randy Rhoton

Randy Rhoton Bronze Member Donor

Louder than Thor? That one felt like a punch in the gut.

16. Max Yokell

Thor had moments , but this just felt like it was loud throughout. I don't know if it was just my Imax theater but it was just loud!! It seemed all the time there wasn't even a break where you could lean over to a friend and whisper something, it was very in your face.

17. Carl V

Carl V Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

maybe it's my age...maybe it's just my jaded personality....
    but this was about what I expected. Borrowing from the past
    heavily, not too much originality, once things get moving. NYC
    get trashed...birthing matrix chambers...terraform machines...

And the reviews shown were more the same, Hyper violent Video gaming
    scenarios, Pacific RIM, Ellyssiam(sp?) THOR 2, amongst others...these are all summer
    action films not unlike Godzilla,M or past action popcorn fluff....LOUD

18. Steve Tannehill

I finally remembered a couple of the previews they showed...the new 300 sequel (coming March 2014) and White House Down, which looks stupid probably because Roland Emmerich directs and Channing Tatum stars.

19. Jerry Pease

Jerry Pease Active Member Top Poster

Nailed it !

When S and LL kissed I was done. Ready to go. But no, they had to do more. In this case more is not better.

20. Jerry Pease

Jerry Pease Active Member Top Poster

I agree

The last 5 min. was so painfull to watch. How many building did they needed to destroy. It was like......let see how many building we can destroy in five minutes.