Zack Snyder's Batman vs Superman - March 2016

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Shane, Apr 17, 2015.

1. Zak

Zak Well-Known Member

That's exactly my issues with Snyders films, you nailed it for me Eric. I find most of his films to be overly stylized and tries to to hard to. Less style, more substance. If you are going for high style the characters must be awesome, ALA older Guy Ritchie films.

2. Max Yokell

Max Yokell Well-Known Member Top Poster

OK hated this one in the theater. Went with a large group and most felt the same way. Was majorly disappointed.

This weekend watched the 3 hour plus Ultimate Edition which had over 30 mins additional run time. Was really surprised. I felt the original version felt long, but found this one at over 3 hours to be much better. It isn't just that they added scenes, the editing feels different, smoother. The story makes more sense with only one thing still bothering me but I found it more livable now.

The difference was a movie I really hated to my actually finding it enjoyable. Not fantastic but something I could live with.

Max

3. Steve Wright

Steve Wright Active Member

I was really disappointed with this. I went in with an open mind and found it to be somewhat interesting as it started. When it was all over, I was like WTF was that all about? It tried to be too much and like most of Snyder's film, can't really hold a coherent plot. I'm going to compare. Captain America:Civil War had a similar plot but characters you cared about, genuine motivations but focused on the main plot and was my favorite movie of the year. This...sigh...Snyder should be done.

4. Barry_NJ

Barry_NJ Well-Known Member

So uhhhh... the Blue-Ray isn't released until next Tuesday, but you saw it this past weekend (?)

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2016
  5. Max Yokell

Did the Ultimate Ed on Vudu. It is damn near BD quality and I get it earlier then BD and don't even have to drive to Best Buy or get up out of the chair and put a disc in. :P

I am seeing lots online that seam to agree with the UE being much better. One asked why couldn't they just release this to the damn theater.

Max

6. Steve Wright

Steve Wright Active Member

Yep, got the Dolby Vision 4k version. Far better than BD. Haven't watched the Extended yet but its going to be tough. Eisenberg...ughhhhh.

7. Ron-P

Ron-P Well-Known Member

Watched the extended cut last night, never saw the theaterical. By far, my favorite of every comic book movie to date! From the casting to the acting to the effects, the dark and grittiness of it, just perfect. Zac nailed it and I was so stocked to see he is directing The Justice League, so cannot wait till next year...

Ben is nearly the best Batman, next to Keaton! So, so much better than all the others that followed after Keaton.

8. Randy Rhoton

Randy Rhoton Well-Known Member Donor

I purposely passed on this in theater because of the title. Stupid concept on the face of it.
    But now some of you are making me want to get the disc. Should I? Worth it? Which version as it seems like the extended cut it the way to go?

9. Zak

Zak Well-Known Member

I'm going to rent it as a number of friends loved it and a number hated it. Going to give it a rent before I drop $20 on it.

10. Ron-P

Ron-P Well-Known Member

Being a huge Snyder fan I just waited and bought it. Would have cost me more to see it theater anyway. Glad I did, going to watch it agin Wednesday. Absolutely loved it...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Zak

Zak Well-Known Member

I rememvber you being a big Snyder fan. I don't really care for his style and felt that most of his movies were just ok. I did like Superman but that's aabout it.

12. Jay Brown

Jay Brown Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

I watched the Theatrical version over the weekend and will catch the extended version this weekend. IMO the movie was all over the place until the 3rd act. Bad editing and sheeshh, the Chrysler product placement just took me out of the movie multiple times. I hope the extended addition will Glue these scenes back together for a more fluid viewing.

13. Ron-P

Ron-P Well-Known Member

Funny, I didn't catch a single Chrysler placement.

I'll be curious to hear your thoughts on the EE, I have no plans to watch the theatrical.

14. Jay Brown

Jay Brown Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

The Jeep Renegade, the Blatant Chrysler 200 in the middle of the street, The Grand Cherokees, The Fiats?

Sent using LG G5

15. Ron-P

Ron-P Well-Known Member

Don't pay attention to car manufactures so, no, I didn't notice any of those. I honestly have no desire to know what cars are on the road today, nor do I pay any attention to what people drive. My 2003 Tundra gets me from A to B. That's all I need to know.

16. Dustin B

Dustin B Well-Known Member

Saw the EE last night, haven't seen the theatrical. Had read the car comments before watching it and I would say I have enough interest in cars I'd notice if the placement was over the top but nothing stuck out to me there. Could be Chryslers don't interest me that much so they didn't stick out at all.

At times it seemed a little slow. But it was quite coherent and I enjoyed it quite a bit. Didn't think it was spectacular but it was definitely on par with any of the avengers movies minus the comedic touches which isn't a plus or a minus for me.

17. CJ

CJ Bronze Member Admin Top Poster

I finally got around to watching this last week. I think expectations had been lowered a lot and I ended up enjoying it quite a bit. I didn't love it as much as Ron did, and not because I don't like Snyder. Man of Steel is one of my favorites. I just wouldn't put this quite on par. I thought there was an imbalance in how much they dedicated to the Batman origin story (again) vs. Superman, not much. I could actually see re-watching this though.

18. Max Yokell

Did you watch the theatrical or extended ed? That is required info on film. Extended ed is much better.

Btw with Ghostbusters theatrical is better.

Sent from my SM-N930V using Tapatalk

19. CJ

CJ Bronze Member Admin Top Poster

I rented it from Netflix, which appears to be the theatrical. Is the Extended really nearly 30 minutes longer? Maybe I'll buy the extended if its that much better and I already liked the film.

20. Barry_NJ

Barry_NJ Well-Known Member

If you enjoyed the Theatrical, the extended really is about 30 minutes longer and a better and more enjoyable film, so go for it :)