Zero Dark Thirty

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Allen, Jan 7, 2013.

1. Allen

Allen Active Member

Not in wide release yet, I realize, but I saw this last night and wanted to start a thread.

The official site says:
    "For a decade, an elite team of intelligence and military operatives, working in secret across the globe, devoted themselves to a single goal: to find and eliminate Osama bin Laden. Zero Dark Thirty reunites the Oscar winning team of director-producer Kathryn Bigelow and writer-producer Mark Boal (The Hurt Locker) for the story of history's greatest manhunt for the world's most dangerous man."

This is pretty terrific film-making, no matter what your political persuasion is, I think.

It's a mystery, a thriller, and finally a stunningly photographed military raid. Even though we know how this movie ends, we hang on to the edge of our seats.

Yes, it takes some definite Hollywood license and makes Maya the heroine of the story as the single obsessed CIA analyst (when the reality was, it was a team of analysts over a long period of time). It probably gets some of the torture stuff "wrong" as to who did what, when & where.

But it's a compelling story, nonetheless. And it's more even-handed than I expected in its narrative.

2. Shane

Shane Active Member

I saw Zero Dark Thirty last week and I was shocked to see only 1 review prior.

Long story short: This is truly brilliant film making. It's deserving of all accolades.

As long as you understand the premise and much like Titanic, we know the outcome of this film. This is the crux that buries most films but it's so well made here, you are glued to the screen.

The main character is Maya who is an obsessed CIA analyst. The portrayal of this character by an unknown actor is amazing. She deserves awards.

A few quotes that stuck with me from her:
    "I don't want to be the girl that f**ks"
    " Move heaven and earth, and bring me this f**king Saeed family's phone number"
    "[to Navy Seals] Quite frankly, I didn't even want to use you guys, with your dip and velcro and all your gear bullshit. I wanted to drop a bomb. But people didn't believe in this lead enough to drop a bomb. So they're using you guys as canaries. And, in theory, if bin Laden isn't there, you can sneak away and no one will be the wiser. But bin Laden is there. And you're going to kill him for me."
    During a meeting with James Gandolfini's character "I'm the motherf***er that found him."

She was clearly not the character you thought she would be when you were first introduced to her. She seemed to timid and scared. As it turns out, she is more like Sarah Linden in 'The Killing'.

The movie itself runs like a documentary without interviews in almost real time. The runtime was well over 2 and 1/2 hours but NEVER felt like that. It ended with me never having looked at my watch. Something that's rare with movies this long. The movie was so focused on the primary and yet simple plot that you really didn't care about Maya nor did you really care about any of the little subplots and politics that existed.

There's some controversy surrounding the film as some believe the torture sequences were advocated and lead to Bin Laden's capture and subsequent killing. In fact, I question whether these people saw the film or were paying attention as the torture sequences/waterboarding didn't lead to the final capture. Sure it led to a few pieces of information but the final capture sequence was a result of direct questioning without torture. If anything, the film showed that torture didn't matter. Politically it straddles the line so much that you'd be hard pressed to know what political bias exists by the makers of the film.

The final capture sequence was so well done, you'd be hard pressed to think this was a Hollywood film.

One of the most griping political based thrillers I've seen in a long time.

A must see. It gets my highest recommendation.

3. Allen

Allen Active Member

Jessica Chastain isn't unknown, Shane - she's probably the hottest actress now, after "The Help", "The Debt", and this film.

Otherwise I agree with your review.

4. Jerry Pease

Jerry Pease Active Member Top Poster

I forgot to mentioned I saw this the other day. I enjoyed it very much. I was very entertained.

5. JeffC

JeffC Well-Known Member Donor

I was on my fast forward button like a fat kid on cake. I thought the movie just dragged and dragged. And Chris Pratt as a Seal? Give me a break.

6. Ron-P

Ron-P Well-Known Member

Amazing film making, some of the best. Jenine had just watched a doc on the Military channel weeks earlier. We gave this a redbox rental last night, loved it and to know that the film was super accurate to the doc was fantastic. A+ for sure.