Zero Effect

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Jack, Jul 4, 2010.

1. Jack

Jack Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

On purpose I have not watched this movie in maybe 10 years. I thought it an almost perfect movie when I saw it way back then and am of the same opinion today. Almost...perfect. The one tell I missed the first time was the receipt. I could kick myself, it was so obvious.

Bill Pullman and Kim Dickens are on fire in this film. I wish someday I will be able to feel what they did at the time of their last phone call. That is a dream that most probably in my life will never.....well nevermind.

Brilliant 9.5

2. DYohn

DYohn Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

Really? OK, like I always say to each his own. :) I thought this was a decent Sherlock Holmes rip-off but nothing that remarkable.

3. Jack

Yeah Dave, one of the MOST important lessons I have learned online is to each his own. PLEASE PLEASE do not take that in the wrong way, it WAS NOT, I repeat WAS NOT meant that way.
    When younger, I fully believed that if I disagreed with someone they were wrong and vice versa. As I aged we all learn everyone is different, some parts of us or thoughts may be similar, but in most ways we are different.

So absolutely, each to his or her own. I just loved the quirkiness of the characters, the style of the movie, the pace and the payoff. I did not figure out the end for once...and it actually made sense when it was presented.

I will also say I am partial to Bill Pullman...well except for his speech in Independence Day, that was just wrong.

4. DYohn

DYohn Bronze Member Donor Top Poster

Oh yes, no value judgements meant in my comment, it's taste and as they say there's no accounting for that! :)

I also like some of Pullman's work, but I absolutely detest Ben Stiller...

5. Max Yokell

Max Yokell Well-Known Member Top Poster

I loved this one when it came out, and thought Kasden did an excellent job with it. Always one of my favs.

6. Bill Stratton

Bill Stratton Active Member

Hmm, never heard of it. It's on my NetFlix queue now. Thanks for the tip Jack!

7. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill Active Member Top Poster

Added to my Netflix queue, although I have three seasons of Mad Men to get through first.

Thanks for the recommendation!

- Steve

8. brianca

brianca Active Member

It also has one of my favorite director's commentaries.

9. Jack

As David said, this film is not for everyone but it was for me.
    Ben stiller is not one of my A list actors either, but he kinda plays what I expect him to be in real life here.
    I could not help but be drawn into the chemistry and mystery surrounding Bill and Kim. He and she are both amazing in their quirkiness in this film. The tension between them, for me at least, was palpable. The ending was right and not Hollywood so to speak.
    Ryan Oneill was perfect as well, what an ass.

Love it.

10. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Active Member

Zero Effect was one of the earliest DVDs I bought. I may have to open up a can of tuna and watch it again:).

Bill Pullman has had an interesting career, from playing dimwits (Ruthless People) to nice guys (While You Were Sleeping) to dark characters (Lost Highway, The Last Seduction). I think I last saw him in Phoebe in Wonderland, where I almost didn't recognize him at first. He's a bit like Aaron Eckart; versatile leading men, that add to most films they appear in.

11. LarryB

LarryB Active Member

Max and I have always agreed on this one; it is one of my favorite quirky films.

12. Max Yokell

Max Yokell Well-Known Member Top Poster

Actually I find when Stiller plays roles when he is stupid beyond reality I don't often enjoy it, however when he takes a role where he is more normal like Reality Bites, Permenant Midnight, Keeping the Faith, Theres Something About Mary, and the Royal Tennenbaums he can actually be a decent actor. Problem is for years now he keeps cashing checks on those stupider then possible characters.

Max

13. LarryB

LarryB Active Member

I have never cared for Stiller as an actor; IMO, his performances are at best so-so, at worst, unbearable.