ZOMBIELAND

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Colton, Oct 2, 2009.

1. Colton

Colton Active Member

Went to a sneak preview of this last night.

I was disappointed. It didn't feel fleshed out (no pun intended) and the characters were uninspired and boring. Woody (as Tallahassee) did a great job and his role carried the movie. Jesse Eisenberg (as Columbus) reminds me so much of Michael Cera - it isn't funny. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if Michael Cera was approached first to play the part. The two girls, Emma Stone (as Wichita) and Abigail Breslin (as Little Rock) are just backdrop damsels in distress for our lead characters to rescue.

I started looking at my watch when the movie literally crawls to a halt to pay tribute to Bill Murray. It's almost embarrassing!
    The movie clocks in a short 80 minutes (thank God) and it's nothing more than a long running joke of how to survive a zombie attack (with the same repeated tips over and over again).

Wait for the DVD. You'll thank me.

:td:

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2009
  2. Max Yokell

Max Yokell Well-Known Member Top Poster

Wow the local critic in the St Pete Times gave this movie and A and warned you should see it before you hear who the guest cameo is and I was going to do just that, thanks for taking away the rush for me.

3. chad

chad Well-Known Member Top Poster

I'm "totally stoked" about seeing this... but I'm not sure if I'll be able to see it in the theaters.

4. Bent

Bent Well-Known Member

I've heard it's no "Shaun of the Dead"...

5. Colton

Colton Active Member

Shaun of the Dead is far better than this garbage.

6. stephenj

stephenj Active Member

Now i'm disappointed. The reviews have been good and i've slotted this film as this weeks "if the football game sunday afternoon sucks, go to a movie" backup plan.

7. Max Yokell

OK Not sure why Colton did not like this but I suspect he thought he was going to a Zombie Comedy ala Dawn of the Dead.

This is actually a very good movie but he is clearly correct in saying it isn't Shaun of the Dead.

This is a road movie, a comedy about two guys coming together on the road and helping each other out and becoming friends and one meeting a girl along the way. It is about 4 lost souls coming together as a family when they lost everything else in their lives.

It just happens to be set in a zombie apocalypse for a background.

I loved it. I also put Colton's comment about a cameo in a spoiler tag and suggest you try not to find out who the cameo is until you see. I thought the cameo part was great.

I really liked this movie and most of the theater was laughing along with me.
    :2tu:

8. chad

Max, is it
    George Romero
    ? I'm guessing not, that would be obivous, but.. it IS Hollywood...

9. Max Yokell

No it is a guy who at times has been a very big actor over the last 30 years and saw a career resurgence in the middle part of this decade.

If you want to know, it is the spoiler box on Chad's original post. I thought they used him very well too.

10. chad

I think you mean Colton's ;)

I peeked, that'll be cool and I do hope to see a lot more of him!

No Jack, not a lot more of him as in his penis... dirty minded old man.

11. stephenj

stephenj Active Member

.. went and saw it this morning and liked it. Nothing all that special, but a fresh take and entertaining throughout. I am not a fan of zombie-comedy stuff like "shaun" and "evil dead 2", and this movie played it straight.

As for the female parts, i would disagree with Colton's characterization. They had vibrant roles, weren't helpless damsels.

5.5/10 stars

12. Karl Englebright

Karl Englebright Active Member

Saw this movie over the weekend. I have to admit that I was pleasantly surprised. It was entertaining and I found myself laughing through a lot of it. Most of the theater was laughing right along with me. I'd give it a 7.5 out of 10.

13. Jim

Jim Active Member

No kidding. Considering the genre rich material it was bland and plotless. Certainly they were looking for the Shaun approach, but they were utterly lazy in the script department on this.

14. Karl Englebright

Really? No plot? Especially considering the genre.

15. Colton

Colton Active Member

No plot. Just wandering around from location to location. Dreadfully boring.

16. Steve Wright

Steve Wright Active Member

Damn. I was really looking forward to this. So who saw Drag Me To Hell? Need to order maybe...

17. Karl Englebright

Oh well, I guess we'll agree to disagree. I call a story through out that leads to a conclusion and a point, a plot... ;)

Considering the genre, it has as much plot as most of them.

18. Max Yokell

Steve, This movie is a decent movie, I think Colton wanted a Shawn of the Dead Clone and that it is not. He wanted full bore comedy while this mixes in comedy in to a fairly straight forward movie.

Drag Me To Hell is a pretty decent flick if you are a fan of his older horror movies, you will like this one. Just the right touches of comedy, gore and creepiness.

Max

19. Steve Wright

Steve Wright Active Member

Have to check out both....

Another horror movie with expectations...

Daybreakers

One of these better live up to the hype!

20. MCBlack

MCBlack New Member

Was going to see this with friends but ended up not being able to due to something coming up and was told it was awesome. Still gonna go see it pretty soon.